Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Yaang Come Village in Chaing Mai - any recent reviews??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed there recently?
We have a deluxe room booked for 4 nights and wanted to see if there's any feedback, since the property is so new.
Heard not so good reviews about the mosquito situation and limited breakfast....

please help.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Mosquitoes: did not see a single one in 5 days in Northern TL, including 3 days in CM. This was during the 3rd week of December, '05.

That having said, there are biting insects of some sort...never did figure out what they were. Never heard the tell-tale buzz suggesting mosquitoes, though.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Have a look at KimJapan's Thailand trip report thread as that is very up to date about the Yaang Come
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

JamesA, right after I posted this post, I found KimJapan's review, which was helpful.
Any negative reviews from anyone?? Not that I'm trying to look for negatives, just want to be fully informed.....
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM

I mentioned in my report that I thought the balconies were not really usable for sitting but were more decorative. The pool tiles...maybe that's been fixed by now.

A couple more...you have to pay seperately and in cash for any transportation you use, even if they arrange it for you. It's also cash only for their massage service. I would have much preferred to be able to add it all to the final bill. Food and beverage were chargeable, though.

Breakfast...yes, it's limited if you compare it to a huge hotel with a huge spread. We thought it quite adequate for us, but saw a young couple commenting that it was a "step down" from their previous hotel. We always had fruit, toast, and sometimes eggs. The omelet station is quick and good. I ordered boiled eggs a couple of times, and they came from the kitchen. If you are into tons of choices and lots of hot dishes, then you may be disappointed. There are 4 or 5 steam tables with hot food in them...bacon, ham, potatoes, mixed vegetables, pancakes, waffles...maybe rice or noodles, can't exactly remember.

The construction in the back may be an issue for you if you are in the rooms located at the back...depends on you. Like I said, we weren't bothered, but others were.

My husband thought it expensive, but I thought it fair. I did the shopping and pricing for the trip planning, so he really had no basis for comparison. We planned late, too, so lots of places were already booked in similar or slightly less price range.

We did have mosquitos one night in our room, and simply asked for spray. They sprayed, and that was that. From that night, I asked them to spray every night while we were having dinner as a precaution, not because we saw many mosquitos. They were happy to oblige. It seems that these tennis raquet type mosquito zappers are all the rage in Thailand now...we saw them in many places...but I laughed so hard when I saw the thing that I think they just gave up their idea of using it for us and sprayed The raquet isn't toxic, but it's also a "kill them one at a time" exercise...can be a workout too!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:37 PM

We were there just as it had opened and enjoyed it, liked the room, pool, breakfast, location, staff. We found them to be eager to do the right thing and the room was very comfortable. Bathrooms are great too.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

KimJapan, thanks for your very detailed feedback - greatly appreciated!
We'll be staying at Sheraton Royal Orchid in BKK and Le Meridien Beach Resort in Phuket, so have a feeling that Yaang Come will be somewhat of a step down for us. We had difficulties finding nice accomodation in CM, and were not prepared to pay the 4 seasons and oriental prices.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM

It will be smalller and much more personal than the other places you are staying. The breakfast will disappoint if you compare it...it will be perfectly fine if you don't compare it. There is no way we would pay the 4 Seasons/Oriental prices in Chaing Mai either. I think it will be a good balance for your trip. While at YCV, be sure to ask for recommendations about where to go/what to see and how to do it. The manager, Aree, is lovely, and a real pleasure to talk with. She really aims to please, and her staff tries hard as well. It's not an operation on the level of Le Meridien Phuket, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's homey in a way that large hotels can never be.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM

we spent 4 nights at yaang come village and we really liked it overall. chiang mai is a pretty ugly city physically and ycv felt like an escape, even though the city is just outside. we liked breakfast.

if i went to chiang mai again, i would probably stay outside of town as the nature is beautiful. but chiang mai did have some charms too.

if you go to ycv, get a room facing the property,@on the second floor, and get the more expensive room--it is worth it.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Stayed there at the end of November for one night when we were passing through CM. It has a great location right near the night market and is a definite haven/retreat despite being so near the heart of CM. We stayed on the ground floor overlooking the garden and our room was very pleasant and a good size. I loved the bathroom and himself was amused at having his own urinal! I don't remember mosquitoes being a particular problem there. We did eat outside in the evening and I am a mozzie magnet. We didn't use the pool but it looked inviting. One real plus was the provision of a couple of computers in the reception area with free internet access. I thought the breakfast was fine but I remember saying that I didn't think they would cope very well with numbers at breakfast if the place had been full. The manageress was very friendly and helpful. All in all if was definitely a place where I would have been really happy to spend more time, although Baan Orapin would still be my first choice. When we were checking out the receptionist thanked us for staying and said that it would be better next time! Although we could see some teething problems it was actually fine as it was.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Just got back from Thailand and will post a more detailed trip report later but wanted to chip in on this one for now.

We stayed at Yaang Come Village for 7 nights over New Year. We booked a deluxe double room several months ago (before there were any reviews on here).

We turned up at lunchtime to be told they had no double rooms available. We were given tea and told to wait. One hour later we were told they had a twin room, but that we could get a double the next day. Not ideal, but we didn't really have a choice.

We were taken to the twin room to find it hadn't been cleaned ... back to the lobby for more tea. One hour later the room was ready.

Inside, the room was lovely ... except for the view. There wasn't one, except an 18ft high fence. The deluxe room gives you a big bath tub, that's it. I would rather have had no bath and some natural light!

Mosquitos, millions of them. We had plug ins, sprays, and worked really hard to keep them out. Unfortunately the maids just let them all in every time they cleaned the room with the door open.

The staff were friendly but no one seemed to have any idea what they should be doing. It would be much more effective if the manager spent more time guiding and managing the staff, rather than trying to befriend every guest in the hotel, which after a few days becomes extremely irritating.

The breakfast was ok but very limited, and in the evenings the place lacked atmosphere.

Two days before we were due to leave we sent clothes to the laundry, which should have been returned the same day. After repeatedly asking where it was I finally had to go and get it at 8pm the night before we were due to leave so I could pack! The phone broke down, the internet service kept collapsing and nobody seemed capable of sorting any of these problems out. Oh, and we never did get the double room we had booked!

On the plus side, stunning pool, great decor and a fabulous location. Just a shame the service doesn't match the surroundings. In a country renowned for great customer service, at present Yaang Come Village falls short in many departments. I wouldn't plan to go back.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM

We spent four days at Yaang Come Village and couldn't have been happier with our choice. It is a tropical oasis right in the center of town very close to the night market. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They announced that they would be spraying for mosquitoes one evening and to stay inside but we never encountered any in our room. While the breakfast was limited, we have just spent six weeks touring Asia and most of the hotels we stayed at were catering to Korean tourists and we did not enjoy their breakfast selections. If there is anything special you would like, we were told to ask and the chef would prepare it. The free internet connection was really helpful.