Work trip in China

Sep 12th, 2019, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Work trip in China

Hello everyone. I'm having kind of a business trip to China (Shanghai) in couple of days and I just really need some advices that I couldn't figure out so far.

1. Should I pay everywhere with my credit card or should I change some cash in the airport?
2. I'll be there for little bit more than a week, do you think should I get a local sim card? Since I'll need to get in touch with people I'm meeting there. I know I could do that on app or something, but I'm worried that sometimes I might not have a wifi or something.
3. I've read that there are pretty strict internet and website regulations there and that I might not be able to use some of the popular websites. Since I might need whatever website for my work, I asked around my friends for their suggestions and they said that I should get a vpn. So I googled a little and found out that nordvpn is highly ranked, though I'd like to get some opinions on that from people who had experience with it.

Thanks for your help and sorry if my questions might sound stupid. The thing is that it's my first time there, so I'm little bit nervous before going.
Sep 12th, 2019, 06:45 AM

You will be able to use a credit card most places. And you can use ATM at airport on arrival to withdraw cash for smaller purchases.

The app Wechat is widely used in China. Works like text but has other features too.

Check your mobile plan as to what is available for international travel. I have Tmobile which has service in most countries included in the unlimited plan I have. But others like AT&T you can get a daily plan for your travel period for not too much money.

Yes do get VPN. Does your company not have one already you can use? Google around internet to find one otherwise. You can put your laptop and your phone on it.

And do ask at work if anything else you should do for China. My company had me take not my regular work laptop but a special "empty" one to prevent any security breach of company information.
Sep 12th, 2019, 05:18 PM
kja

Originally Posted by laurie_ann View Post
And do ask at work if anything else you should do for China. My company had me take not my regular work laptop but a special "empty" one to prevent any security breach of company information.
Sounds like good advice to me! My employer also limits what computers, what software, and what files can be taken into China these days.
Sep 15th, 2019, 05:40 AM

Avoid taking photos in China for any reason. China State Security needs NO reason to examine your phone or camera.