Winter in Beijing

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Tracy

Winter in Beijing

I'm going to be visiting Beijing after Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for packing, dressing,etc....I'm a Texas girl, and I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing my very first COLD winter!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:00 PM
andrew

Tracy,

In Beijing in January, the temperatures are:

Mean - 24 degrees
Mean Max - 35 degrees
Mean Avg - 14 degrees

Yes, cold compared to Texas!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Cindy

I live in North Dakota and went to Beijing last January. I have never been so cold! I don't know if it is because so many of the places I went to were not heated well, but I have never been so chilly. I even bought an extra winter coat and wore TWO coats.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Andrea

I can verify personally that it can be REALLY, REALLY cold!! I've been there in the winter on business, and even wrapped up in many layers, with a warm coat, scarf & gloves have been just freezing. So pack WARM!!

That being said, the cold weather makes a nice mist or fog around the Great Wall, which is a wonderful sight. If you're lucky enough to catch SNOW on the Great Wall, consider yourself very fortunate - it will be breathtaking! Cold, but breathtaking!

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 01:41 AM
Ursula

Spent a week in Beijing after Christmas in 1996 and just loved it. It had snowed and the city was white and seemed so clean and fresh. The Hutong Tour was lovely just like the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven, the Ming Tombs and the Summer Palace. Yes, it was cold, indeed, but we were prepared to that and took clothes you usually take when going to a skiing resort in the Alps.
Also, the small Chinese restaurants were cold inside, we used to have lunch with our coats on.
Once back in our hotel in the late afternoon, we were first going for a hot cup of tea or a nice coffee.
Enjoy Beijing!