which street food tour in Hanoi?

Dec 15th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

which street food tour in Hanoi?

Hello:

we definitely want to do a street food tour in hanoi. is there one of these that is better or different than the others? Which should we do

Awesome travel food on foot
Hanoi street food tours - lowerson
Hanoi cooking center tours

Thanks for any advice!
Dec 15th, 2013, 05:45 AM

Why don't you just go out and eat? No need to take a tour. The food is all good.
Dec 15th, 2013, 06:59 AM

I never tried in Hanoi, but tried one tour in Ho Chi Minh a few months back at triip.me. You can see if they offer anything similar in Hanoi. Basically a local will guide you around your chosen choice of food.

You can certainly do it on your own just by reading their offers to find out your favorites. But I guess with their involvement, we will be guided to the better places with better taste in town. Your choice!
Dec 15th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Sometimes I think you can get better food on walking tours than you would on your own, simply because your guide is a regular customer of the restaurant or stall.

I know OP is looking for Hanoi, but Jodi of Legal Nomads blog is doing tours in Saigon in January and February. I have a feeling these will be pretty good:

http://www.jodieats.com/walks/
Dec 15th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for comments! Yes, that's our feeling too - that we will discover more adventurous and delicious food with a local guide to steer us. Would appreciate any suggestions of street food tours in Hanoi

Thanks
Dec 15th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Good morning,

The food street is Hanoi is Tong Duy Tan, just near in the center of Hanoi but there are so much other places where you could find different vietnamese foods !!! you know that in Hanoi, we call "pavement culture" because of local restaurants mostly during the night.

Welcome to Hanoi.
Dec 16th, 2013, 12:31 AM

Awesome travel food on foot: walking around old quarter and eating.
I know about 2 last other tours but not do it. Recomended awesome travel. Also hear about street food of Urban travel and Hanoi food tour.
Dec 16th, 2013, 04:31 AM

I took the cooking centre's tour, walking and eating for most of a day -- and talking. http://hanoicookingcentre.com/ It's the talk that sets a tour apart from wandering on your own. Only three decades ago Vietnam was on the brink of starvation. No wonder food is a central focus in life. Now, Vietnamese eat throughout the day, a plate here, a snack there. The kitchen window provides a viewpoint for the entire society, even more so when the kitchen is a gas plate on a curb. The young guides on the tour spoke freely about their lives in the big city, took us through a market, and found nooks and crannies I could never have noticed on my own (nor, probably, have been brave enough to try.) Next time I'll try their hands-on kitchen course.
I've also cooked at Hidden Hanoi and was happy with it; that company also runs walking tours http://www.hiddenhanoi.com.vn/
Dec 16th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Street food in Hanoi is realy tasty. But make sure that you have a good stomach. Some good one, I would like to recommend such a Bun Cha (Hang Manh Street), Cha Ca (Grilled fish) at 14 Cha Ca Street, Pho (Bat Dan Street or No 10 Ly Quoc Su Street), Ca Phe pho co (11 Hang Gai), Barbecue at Hang Than Street, Bun Bo Nam Bo (Hang Dieu Street). You may walk on your own or hire a local guide on street food tour.
Dec 19th, 2013, 07:25 AM

Why don't you just go out and enjoy yourself? Or you can ask Hanoikids to help you. They are a volunteer club for young guides. Very helpful. There will be a great number of choices for foods in Hanoi these holidays.
Dec 21st, 2013, 12:44 AM

I did the Awesome Vietnam Travel Food on Foot tour and it was indeed awesome. I don't thinking doing a tour on your own is the same.

We had 3 hours of trying different foods we never would of attempted on our own but our guide gave us confidence to eat and showed us where to eat so we easily travelled out on our own over the 2 weeks we were in Vietnam.

Awesome Travel's Tripadvisor reviews are very positive. This was the reason I went with them and I wholeheartedly agree they were awesome.

I loved the food on foot tour so I booked other half day and hours tours.

Search this Thread