Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Which Internet Booking Service is Best for Thailand?

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Chiang Mai, Koh Samui and Bangkok (stay at Penn). In the US I have found myself is one of the least desirable rooms in a category even if I select Deluxe. I am looking for a service that has been in business for 5+years, only takes a deposit, sends you a confirmation and with 7 days notice only charges a $25+/- administration fee.
Or, should I contact the hotels directly and get their best rate even if it is $10-$20/night more and expect to get what I am requesting in terms of room location.
I am interested in 5 star or 4+star hotels only.
Also, I would be interested in suggestions of the 2 best in Chiang Mai for a deluxe scenic room in mid-April (shoulder season) under $200/night, Koh Samui, oceanfront, under $225 and I think I can get the Drand Deluxe at the Penn on a high floor with transfers for $250 a night. Do you agree?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:56 AM

I have had good luck with Asiahotels.com and planetholiday.com. I have been following rates for my trip next February and it appears that asiarooms.com has the lowest rates right now. Others on this board have had success with them. Most of the internet booking sites require payment up front. If you book directly, you will avoid that problem. I recently tried to get the Penn to honor Asiaroom's rate but they would not. I think $250 is in the ballpark for a Grand Deluxe room booked on an internet site. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM

You should have no problem getting the Penn at that price in aPRIL. As for CM, you can try the 4 Seasons or Mandarin but they may be more. New hotels that might suite you are the Chedi, D2 (Dusit hotel). Rachamankha is another option.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I use asiahotels.com all the time. They have no booking charge, and for many hotels you can choose to pay ahead (the rate then includes tax and service) or pay at the htoel. I have chosen a particular room type and have received the type of room I requested.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I also use asiahotels.com all the time, for Thailand and other countries in SEA and even for Peru! Like Kathie, I always get the type of room I want, and after booking, if you want to change the type of room, it's not a problem. They are also good about refunds and their customer service is super. I have been using them for years and have never had any problem with them.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:03 PM

For Chiang Mai take a look at the Jirung Resort and Spa, all suites, under USD 100 and about USD 140 for deluxe suite, lovely place, also Rachamankha nice. The Novotel is 3/4 star and under uSD 50.

If you want specific 4/5 star try www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com, huge choice of luxury places all over Thailand.
I always use local ones, you get more local information as opposed to just a list, I use huahin.20m for Hua Hin and others depending on location, most feed through local R24 and never had a problem in years and years. Also www.chiang-mai-hotels.itgo.com for Chiang Mai and they also feed into R24, none of these want your credit card until they can confirm the accommodation, in Phuket/Samui/Bangkok well over 100 places in each.