Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Which budget riverside hotel in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've stayed at these, or have knowledge of them, please comment on these budget riverside hotels in Bangkok. Interested in cleaness, accessibility to major sites and 'true' riverside view. Not interested in other higher-cost riverside hotels (Marriott, etc.), but if know of other budget riversides, would appreciate info about them. Thanks much.

Royal River Hotel, 219 Soi Charansanitwong;
Montien Riverside Hotel, 372 Rama III Rd.;
Manam Riverside Hotel, 2074 Charoenkrung Rd
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Maybe my post sent earlier about this was not sent for some reason,but I have stayed in the Royal River 3 different years when I was in Bangkok. They have a free shuttle boat that will take you up and down the river. very easy to get off and find the place where you want to go. The hotel will call a taxi for you which always has a reliable driver. The rooms are nice, the breakfast very good and the staff very helpful. It did not seem like a budget hotel to me. Very clean. I would stay there again.
There is an inexpensive restaurant just on the river almost directly beside the hotel that is a good place to eat. Some nights they have live music
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, maryanne1.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 12:32 AM

i stayed for 4 days last week at the royal river...it was part of our N/W pasckage...at first they put us in a dismal small room way away from the river although we could see it...i opted for an upgrade to river front for an additional 1000B per day ($25).... the room was large and decent...very clean...

the hotel is older and showing its age, but perfectly acceptable...

one problem we found was transportation to and from....they used to have hourly service to river city....now it only goes 3 times per day: 10AM, 2PM and 5PM...we used it twice only and only one way....taxis were the option...it is about 20+ minutes to the skytrain at victory monument...it can be longer at certain times also...it took us 10 minutes to go from one side of victory monument to the other one afternoon...very bad..

we would not stay there again..

montien and menam are down near the marriott but on the "good" side of the river....the montien is the better i believe...
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 04:05 AM

Not sure how low you mean by "budget" Have you seen posts about Ibrik? 3200 Baht. Or check Royal Orchid Sheraton. AAA rates as low as $88 this summer.