Which beach in Thailand?

Search

Which beach in Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which beach in Thailand?

where should we go as far as beach in thailand? we want a beautiful relaxing beach with some water activities but not crazy & wild. we are 35 and this is our 1st time at a thailand beach.
phi phi island looks incredible and so does phuket
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM

What time of the year are you going? because of the seasonal monsoons, this will have a lot of impact on your decision.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

we are going to be there around Nov 18-20.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM

you might look at koh chang...the amari cove is excellent at the top of the $$ chart....

there are some nov weather issues so someone will have to tell you which side of the peninsula is best in nov...

hua hin is always nice and the hyatt is fantastic there....we were there starting nov 18 this year and the weather was perfect for our entire stay...
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:45 AM

We stayed on Koh Chang just like bob did, and we loved it! The whole place was very quiet. We had some nice diving and snorkeling. We didn't go for the higher prices hotel and stayed @ barali in a beach front bungalow and it was wonderful! If you stay there just find a different place to eat, as their food is not the best.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Take a look at Krabi. It has the same weather as Phuket, but prettier. Your dates are just when the rainy season switches from the Andaman Sea to the Gulf. Take a look at weatherbase.com 9thanks Kathie). Unfortunately, this site breaks it into months and November can be a transition month for both sides of the Isthmus.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Where did you stay in krabi? Our dates are flexible and we were thinking of being there around Dec 13th or 14th
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM

We stayed at the Sheraton using Starwood points. It was great. They have a baby elephant RaRa that goes swimming with the guests. the beach is nice and there's a good restaurant right across the street. However, it is isolated. many stay at Ao Nang beach. It is beautiful.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM

I agree with Gpanda. Krabi is one of the most magnificent beach areas I have experienced. I loved East Railey. Walking, Kayaking. or swimming, with the overwhelming limestone cliffts surrounding you was almost sureal. There are lots of nature activities to do with the bonus of Ao Nang being very close with a small varity of shops and restaurents.
If you do not have points the Sheraton would not be my first choice. It has very pretty grounds but for me it has a little to much of a Sheraton hotel feel where you can stay at anywhere. ( but only my 2 cent's) worth.
enjoy
sally
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM

You've answered your own question really. Phi Phi fits all your reqirements, provided you select the right hotel.
We too have stayed at the Sheraton Krabi Beach and though a nice hotel it is a bit.....plastic?? Things like golf buggy transfer to your room and like another poster has said it doesn't really have an identity. It's just like so many other hotels and could be anywhere.
My recommendation would be Holiday Inn, Phi Phi, or Phi Phi Island Village. Both away from the frenetic Tonsai Bay area which is still easilly reached by longtail. Some pics and info here
http://www.leightravelclub.com/phiphiphotos.htm
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

I was looking at beach resorts in Krabi (particluarly on Railay Beach). Is Rayavadee worth the cost? I read that the scenery is stunning but there are longtails boat coming up every second & its very noisy & ends up dirty by the end of the day. Is the rest of Krabi the same? Can anyone recommend any resorts in Krabi (besides the Sheraton because I read those reviews). Thanks. I'm thinking maybe Koh Chang is the way to go---more relaxing & quiet, yet plenty of activities if you want.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:49 AM

If you like someplace quiet and beautiful, but a bit more authentic/rustic looking than that Sheraton, take a look at this small group of villas on the island of Koh Yao, midway between Phuket and Krabi. I have not been there personally but recently read a # of great reviews on tripadvisor.com

http://www.koyaobay.com
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM

We stayed at Sunrise Tropical on East Railay last year and absolutely loved it! It had a very "Thai" feel to it and the rooms were beautiful and very large with a sitting room. The bathrooms are also very nice with tile and a big bathtub. the grounds were very tropical and well maintained and the people were soooo nice!

it is also a very short walk to some of the other beaches.

Check it out here:

http://sunrise-tropical-resort.th66.com/
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM

I just looked at the prices at Rayavedee. WOW... We spent about 500.00 per room including tax and full board. My (DS) just said it is worth it. We were also there over Xmass 2005 and looking back at he pictures it was not crowded. But everything was still is full swing.

We had an amazing trip. The grounds are beautiful and we loved our AM tennis games with the kids, We have never had so many ball boys and monkeys watching us from above the courts.

It was not too crowded when we were there. But things change so i can not say how it is now. I still think it is a wonderful location and Magnificent setting. The plus is when all the day trippers leave. But it has goten very $$$$. we would love to go back.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I think we have finally narrowed it down to:

Krabi- either Sunrise Tropical or Railay Bay Resort & Spa

OR

Phuket - Kamala Beach (Layalina Hotel).

I know I'm driving you crazy but any more feedback on these. I've heard great things about Sunrise and Railay (although the construction going on there scares me a bit).

I would love to go to phuket (so I thought going to a beach like Kamala would be quieter than Patong & prettier). Layalina has fantastic reviews!

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:02 AM

I can only comment again on Sunrise Tropical. It is paradise, truly spectacular! If something like that existed here in Portland, OR the rooms would be $400 per night!

What specific questions do you have regarding ST? I am happy to elaborate more, if needed!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Layalina is one of my favorite chill out hotels. Classy, but still chill out.
However,for me ,Laem Tong Bay , Phi Phi is the ultimate for a beautiful relaxing beach. Choice of four hotels....five star to OK star...but you would never know that there are four hotels in this bay.....very peaceful!
There are many on this board who knock Phi Phi, but thats only because they haven't 'REALLY' been there.
I believe this is still one of the most desireable beach locations in the world.
Just don't base in Tonsai/Loh Dalum or Long Beach. The north east of the island is still very quiet and if you want all the action, then that too, is also within a twenty minute longtail ride.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

eurotraveller,

The only questions I have are:
1)can you confirm that its easy to walk around and eat /drink at restaurants on the island? That we wouldn't be limited to the restaurants/bars at the hotel?

2) are you staying in a hotel room or are they separate bungalows/houses???

Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

LeighTravelClub,

I love ko phi phi, it looks beautiful but in order to save time I was trying to stay somewhere with direct access (from airport). Where would you recommend staying on Laem Tong Bay----I really liked the P.P. erawan resort--looks very beautiful & I love the idea of having your own little house/bungalow.

THanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Railay is not an island but it feels like an island because it is only accesible by boat. You can VERY easily walk around to bars and restaurants! East Railay has more night life but it is a little further down the beach. there is a short paved path that runs from East to West Railay. I would guess the path between the tow beaches is maybe 80 yards?

I think some of the bungalows/rooms are stand alone and others are attached. They are all one level and on beautiful grounds.

I took several photos of ST that you can view here:

www.windjammer.smugmug.com

Just go to the accomodations photo album.

There is also a little store next door to the resort where you can buy water and beer to store in the refrigerator in your room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -