Reload this Page >

Where to spend a week....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Valeria

Hello, I´m going to Bali for five days in late April. I´m thinking of staying in the area for week after that. Where would you go? Stay in Indonesia? Go somewhere else? Thailand? <BR>Thanks in advance...

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Jayelle

I would definitely recommend spending some of your extra time in Thailand. Its well worth it. Although I'm not a big fan of Singapore, you might stop over there for a day or two if it interests you. Alternatively, you could consider heading south and spend your extra week in Australia and New Zealand.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 08:06 AM
sarah

Thailand deffinately, I agree that if you fly via Singapore then a day or 2 is worthwhile.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Ursula

Valeria: Why not go to Java to see the Borobodur Temple and then go on Yogyakarta which is a real nice town. From there, you can take a very nice train journey to Bandung (about 7 hours) and then finish in Jakarta which however I dislike. On the other hand, one hears some bad things about Indonesia apart Bali, so you might not take into consideration my suggestions. But Thailand is of course worth to be seen as well or Hongkong. <BR>What ever you do, have a nice trip!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:55 PM
cindy

Since you are already going to be in Indonesia, why not fly up to Sulawesi. Depends what you like, but it was really interesting to see. It is a flight, then a long drive to get to Torajaland, but amazing culture. The way they "bury" their dead, the houses, etc...all worth the trip.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 05:26 PM
wayne

Yes I agree with Cindy. Toraja is an eye-opener. They bury their dead in caves and put a doll outside the cave. You can see them on the whole mountainside. Their houses with upturned roofs and architecture is fascinating as well.Fly to Ujung Padang on the island of Sulawesi.<BR><BR>Why don't you do the spice-island cruise from Bali? It will take you to Lombok, Flores, Komodo and other islands next to Bali where the last dinosaur, the 6ft Komodo dragon, can be found.<BR><BR>Lastly, an overland trip to Borobodur is a must. I consider it one of the 7 ancient architectural wonders of the world. You can go to Jogjakarta or Solo to get to Borobodur. <BR><BR>Since you only have 1 week I suggest you stick to Indonesia and its 30,000 islands.