Where to go in August?

Old Oct 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in August?

Hubby and I want to travel to Asia in August 2011 but haven't decided on where to go. We are looking for culture and sites with sacred significance. We're thinking of a 2-3 week trip and it'll just be the two of us. We're limited to August due to other scheduling commitments the rest of the year but I am a little concerned about weather conditions in Asia since I know it's usually the wet season that time of year. Any suggestions on where to go, possible itineraries where weather may not be as much of an issue?
Thanks!
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 11:20 AM

what do you like seeing and doing? what area appeals to you?
that may help us a little more in our suggestions
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Asia is a big place. Believe me, it's not "wet" season everywhere in Asia in August!

The place that occurs to me first is a trip to Bali and Java. Bali is the only island in Indonesia that is Hindu, and the place is suffused with spirituality. Java, which is currently Muslim, has the ruins of Borobudor, the largest Buddhist monument in the world and Prambanam, a complex of Hindu temples.

The combination of these two islands would we a wonderful trip!

August is dry season in these places.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I did read that Indonesia would be seasonable in August but I am a bit concerned about the seemingly increasing natural disasters (tsunamis, volcano eruption). That poor country has been through a lot. It's still on the list of places to visit but I am a bit hesitant.

Religious monuments, temples, caves are the sorts of things we're interested in as well as wildlife. We were in Belize in May and loved the Mayan ruins and caves in Cayo.

We're considering the Ajanta and Ellora caves in India but we want to know what other options there are or possibly where else we can go from there. I have family in Karnataka and have been there several times.

Yes, Asia is a large area, hence the need for some help in narrowing it down!
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM

Indonesia is the ring of fire. There aer always earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. That is normal for that part of the world. I wouldn't hesitate to fgo, but you have to decide what you are comfortable with.

You might want to consider Sri Lanka. The Dambulla cave temple is amazing, as are many other places there> Take a look at my trip report
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...-sri-lanka.cfm

and our photos www.marlandc.com/SriLanka/index.htm
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Im new here and not yet worked my way around the site, so bear with me. Last year we did singapore for three days, if you can arrange to be there on the 9th august as its there national day, we then went onto bangkok for four nights, If you get there 12-13th its the queen's birthday (mother's day is celebrated on the same day) we then did day trips to River Kwai, ayyathaya, etc. From there we moved to Kuala Lumpur for three nights. We found the weather was as expected for asia, some rain in but nothing that dampened the holiday.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 12:59 AM

For "culture and sites with sacred significance" I'd second Bali and Java. Another excellent choice would be Tanah Toraja in Sulawesi. Fascinating on both counts.

You'll get good weather in the area in August, but it's high tourist season and rates will be high.

I'm not sure how to address your concern about natural disasters in Indonesia. There is undoubtedly a good deal of seismic activity along the ring of fire and right now several volcanoes are in overdrive. I would say, however, the chance of a traveler being harmed or incovenienced by nature is low.

Unfortunately, bad things do happen in good places -- all of them -- and there's no predicting what might occur when you're there. Agree, though, that you shouldn't vacation in a place that would make you uncomfortable.