Where in Bali should we stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on an organized tour in Bali, staying in Ubud, Lovina, and Jimbaren, for a few days each. Once the tour ends, we have three more days before we fly home. We have loads of Starwood points and there are several options where we can stay for free. They are located in Ubud, Jimbaren, Kuta, and Seminyak.
We are looking for an area with nice beaches, but also close to restaurants and shops. We will have done tons of sightseeing on the tour, so are looking for a place to relax that is not too crowded, but also not too remote. We prefer not to rent a car. Any suggestions as to which location to pick would be appreciated.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:40 PM

Kuta is a beach for young partiers - expect lots of noise and drunkenness.

Seminyak is the favorite beach of one of our regulars here (who lives on Bali), which seems like a great recommendation to me. There are plenty of restaurants in this area.

You are quite right that you do not want to rent a car. If you want/need to go somewhere, you can easily get a taxi.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:55 PM

Agree with Kathie that the Seminyak area is definitely better for access to restaurants and things to do.

That being said, if you can stay for free with SPG points, you may be getting better service/amenities/value for points by going for the St Regis Nusa Dua rather than the W Seminyak.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:57 PM

Also adding that if deciding between Le Meridien Jimbaran and W Seminyak, I'd probably lean towards the W for the location.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 09:39 PM

I'm not a big fan of the W in Seminyak, but it does have a terrific location in Petitenget, the northern part of Seminyak. The positives: it's within walking distance (or a short taxi ride) of dozens of restaurants, shops and spas, including some of what I would consider the best of Bali. The beach is clean and sandy (though at times the surf can be too rough for swimming). You can walk for miles in either direction. The pool is enormous and the grounds are spacious. I believe all rooms have ocean views. Sunsets can be glorious.

The downside is that the ambiance is over the top glitz and flash (in a good humored sense) and the non-stop music can be loud and annoying. The restaurants are pricy and can get large groups.

The extraterrestrial spa can fall into either category: you'll either love it or hate it.

The St. Regis is on the other end of the spectrum: sedate and elegant, but not a lot to do in Nusa Dua except be in Nusa Dua. Taxis are readily available but getting from Nusa Dua to Seminyak can take up to an hour.

I would consider the Meridien a rather ordinary big resort. Aside from the seafood barbeques the area doesn't have a lot going for it.

I'm not familiar with any Starwood property in Ubud. Which one is it?
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

U went back to the Starwood site. There are 2 hotels being built in Ubud, but they will not be open yet for our stay.
Our choices are as follows:
W Seminyak for 20000 points a night
Sheraton Bali Kuta 7000 points
Le Meridien Jimbaron 10000 points
Westin Nusa Dua 10000 points
Laguna Nusa Dua 10000 points
St. Regis - need to call for availability - will probably be about 30000 points a night.
We have enough points for all, but the St. Regis is probably not available.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 06:50 AM

Personally, I would avoid all of the places in Nusa Dua. It's a sterile, purpose-built resort area so it feels like a resort area anywhere in the world - not Bali. If it were me - and it isn't - I'd probably opt for the W as the least of many evils.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:27 AM

I too would consider the W to be in an excellent location. We went past it a few times in September.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 12:48 PM

Hey Smeagol.
When I worked in SW1A, Buck Palace looked a perfect spot (wink).
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:19 PM

I'd eliminate the Sheraton in Kuta. -- a very congested, rowdy area.

The choice between one of the resorts in Nusa Dua and the W in Petitenget/Seminyak comes down to how you envision spending your time. The Nusa Dua beach resort experience can be serene and pampered, but you're pretty much stuck in Nusa Dua unless you want to take along taxi ride to Seminyak for restaurants or shopping.

From the W you're close to lots of activities (or you can just relax at the pool). In the most recent TA reviews nobody complained about loud music, so maybe they've toned it down.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 09:46 PM

Giblum. We did stay at the W in Barcelona and the hotel was fantastic, great service, food etc... Yes the vibe is a bit " to cool for school" but I did t find it as bad as some hotels.... So what I am saying is, we have had a good experience at another W property and if this run along those lines I would anticipate a good stay ( and it is free after all )
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 05:59 AM

no cash and pts availability??
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

There is cash and points availability at the W. It is 10000 points and $180 a night or 20000 points with no cash added.We have lots of points, even after transferring 220000 point over to American Airlines for our AA/Cathay Pacific business class flights from West Palm Beach to LAX to Hong Kong to Indonesia.