Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

where have you been in SE Asia? (first trip)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:27 AM
Phyllis Pearsall

am planning a trip to Bali this year, maybe Thailand. first trip to SE Asia.<BR><BR>any tips?<BR><BR>I am curious - if you don't mind, can you tell me where/when you've been to SE Asia? How does it compare to other parts of the world you have visited?<BR><BR>thank you.<BR><BR>PP<BR><BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 10:38 AM
Kathie

I've traveled a lot in SE Asia, it's my favorite part of the world. While I've traveled to Europe, Northern Africa, the Middle East and other parts of Asia, I always return to SE Asia.<BR><BR>Places I've been in SE Asia: Thailand numerous times, Malaysia 3 or 4 times, Singapore numerous times, Indonesia 4 times (Bali, Java), and Cambodia once (12/2001). I'm planning a trip for later this year that will include parts of Thailand, Laos, and perhaps a day trip into Burma.<BR><BR>I find the people in SE Asia warm and friendly. They consider hospitality to be an intrinsic part of their culture. The cultural attractions are wonderful - fabulous crafts, dance, food, and temples that are truly amazing. The temples at Angkor are stunning, Borobudor and Prambanan (central Java) are wonderful, the temples in Thailand are a riot of color and gilding, with serene monks walking the grounds... I could go on and on. <BR><BR>Oh, yes, and for the price of a mediocre hotel in the US, you can stay in a gorgeous hotel with service unlike any you've experienced in other parts of the world. I remember the first hotel I stayed in in Singapore - the all marble bathroom was bigger than the last hotel room I'd stayed in in London, and the price was about half of what I paid in London.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:38 AM
Phyllis Pearsall

Thanks Kathie.<BR><BR>Where would recommend a newbie go for the first trip? I really don't know much about this part of the world at all. I've heard very good reports about Bali and Thailand which is why I selected them. Do you go on your own, or do you use a travel agent/tour guide?<BR><BR>thanks..<BR><BR>PP

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:41 PM
Kathie

I always travel independently. SE Asia is any easy place to do so. Either Bali or Thailand are good places to go for a "first timer." I'd suggest you pick up a guide book on SE Asia. Several companies have books that cover the region (so you don't have to buy a different book for each country). See what catches your eye. Once you've decided on a country, you might want to buy a guide book specifically for that country to plan your itinerary.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:23 AM
ariela

My recent first trip to Asia was great - Hong Kong and Thailand. Both wonderful interesting places, but completely different in terms of culture, look, atmosphere. I've generally heard bad things about Bali, but you'll have ah ard time disliking Thailand!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Phyllis Pearsall

Ariela, <BR><BR>thanks!<BR><BR>what did you hear about Bali, which was bad?<BR><BR>PP

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Good Night Nurse

Phillis shouldn't you be back on the europe board urging people to buy fake LV purses? Now you are on the Asian board pretending you are going to Bali. What, are you thinking of buying some fake Gucci purses from indonesian touts? <BR><BR>You make me sick, Phillis.<BR><BR>RN