Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

When to buy, what has your experience been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it is peak season and all, but I am plnning on going to Vietnam and Bangkok or Singapore in December. I have to be in Vientnam for New Year and I want to go to another destination. The idea is I want to find a cheap destination in Asia to fly into. I will be flying via a local airline from that destination in asia (Singapore or Bangkok or any other suggestions) to Vietnam.
Let say for example, I want to fly into Bangkok, when I should I buy my ticket and wht is a good price, so when I find a ticket I should purchase it.
Thanks
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:26 PM

you should buy your ticket immediately i should think ...you might not even get the dates you want now...hurry...

november is the beginning of high season in SE asia...

where are you coming from...that may make some difference...

bangkok is generally the most central location in sea....flights can be cheap from there...

a good source of cheap intra asia flights is eddie at sea tours:

[email protected]

recently a friend saved about 50% on her bkk-hanoi-bkk flight through eddie on a good airline, not a discount airline...

places that have good transportation do not get much cheaper than bangkok...hotels are available at every cost...a good site is:

www.huahin.20m.com

pick a location from the drop down box at the top

let us know how we can give you more assistance...
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:29 PM

SINGAPORE BY THE WAY IS QUITE EXPENSIVE...sorry for caps....it is also about the most expensive place to fly into and out of in SEA
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM

yes singapore is relatively expensive hotel/food, but it has positioned it self as the reginal hub for most low cost airlines. just about every budget cariar flye's too singapor. I wish bangkok had so many options.

tiger airways is a budget airline that goes from singapre to honoi and ho chi man. (it'ts part of singapor airlines so it cant be bad..

from bkk too vietnam it seems lufthansa usualy has the better deals too ho chi man (or is it hanoi). anhyways fares tend too run about $200 from consolidators.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice . I will follow up on it. Quick question though, what is a reasonable price for a ticket from Philadelphia to Bangkok. Just want to get an idea, so I know I am not overpaying.
Thanks
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Yes, you'd better hurry and get a ticket. I got my ticket, for my December Bangkok trip, 4 months ago... on Thai Air. Airfare went up July 01st on Thai Air. As for Singapore being expensive, I don't find it all that expensive. Of course it's more expensive than some of the other countries in the region, but not unreasonable. I find hotels on Bali expensive...for the 4-5 star ones.In Singapore, I stay at the YMCA International House Hotel(unisex and all ages) which I love and pay about US$47.00 a night for a nice private room. The majority of the rooms are private rooms with bathroom. And breakfast is included. There is also a pool on the roof.It's at the Dhoby Gaut MRT(subway station) in the heart of the city.I'll be leaving to return to that hotel soon and it will be the same price I paid last August 2004. I have stayed there alot. If you get some kind of Singapore Air/Hotel deal then Singapore hotels can be quite reasonable. My best friend always gets these kinds of deal. I remember a few years ago when...she, her daughter and I went to Singapore together and Singapore Air had its Singapore Stopover Splendor deal where along with the airfare...from L.A.... you could get the Hotel Rendevous(4-star)...directly across the street from the YMCA International House Hotel.... for US$8.00 a night for the first night and $38.00 a night for the other nights.My best friend booked this deal.She was at the Rendevous and I was at the Y. On the same deal, the Ritz Carlton was going for US$48.00 the first night and US$80.00 for each night after that.There was a list of hotels one could choose from in Categories A through D. I'm in L.A. area, but if I were you, I'd give Escapes Unlimited...800.243-7227 a call and talk to Roe.They are here in Southern California...down in Orange County... I don't usually use agencies, but my best friend has used them for years and has gotten some incredible deals. Hope this has helped. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:49 AM

i can speak for boston, which would be about the same as philly...

plan on about $1000 for the fare...it could be as little as $800 or as much as $1400....look at northwest, united, ana, thai---new direct flt from nyc, eva, emmerites, japan, air canada--quite good pricing, cathy pacific, singapore, korean...
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I'm planning to go to BKK during Dec. I will certainly try to get our tickets now, per your advice. How much should airfare be for that time, LAX to BKK?

I've emailed Mol/VSP Travel, got her name from this forum, for BKK-ChiangMai-Samui-BKK. Bangkok Air airpass is $200...that's pretty good! I forgot to tell her it was for Dec. so the fare might go up.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:14 PM

OK...I'm in L.A. and have a ticket for L.A. to BK for December, but I bought it 4 months ago. I just walked into the Thai Air office and bought it.It's on the southeast corner of Sepulveda and Grand...south of the 105 freeway. It was $1050. plus tax...so $1100 something.You can contact Star Tours at 5112 Hollywood Blvd...at Normandy...upstairs in the HYE mini complex...tel.(323)644-1063. They are cheaper than Thai Air although their tickets are on Thai Air. I went into their office a few weeks after I had bought my ticket directly from Thai Air, but their airfare for December was only $50.00 less than what I'd paid. BUT, if you have to cancel your ticket with them it's $75. to them and $75. to Thai Air whereas if you do it straight through Thai Air it's only $75. and they will credit your credit card right over the phone...I cancelled once through Thai Air and it was VERY easy. Usually Star Tours is very cheap...as low as the $650. range...BUT it depends on when you're traveling and they told me that airfare went up as of July 01st.I have many friends who use Star Tours. Hope this has helped. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Anyway I try this flights to Singapore, Bangkok are coming to around 1100+. As I have mentioned before I have to end up in Vietnam. So might just fly into Bangkok, and try to find a cheap local airline to Vietnam. Does anyone know of any discounted airlines like Southwest in Asia. Cant use Tiger airways as they only fly to Vietnam from Singapore.
Thanks
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:14 PM

contact eddie for VN flights from bkk

[email protected]

he may save you about 50% over us prices
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:05 PM

RRJ8d
NOTE. in asia using the local carriors is usually the most expensive option.

RHK.. you always say eddie saves people 50%.. what are you comparing the prices to?.. if your comparing them too expedia or something he should be beating them by 60. 70 % like every consolodator in town does. As i've psted before I've been too the offices of seatours and they run a realy nice place but they are NOT consolidators (SP) but do offer consolidated fares which is printed in a dusty red buck underneath under the 3rd desk from the door. Eddie may be more apt too checking the cheepest best prices as opposed to other agents but, I would recomend futer clients too specifiecaly ask quotes on consolidated pricing options if the want the "cheepest" option.

I went there 1 year ago for a singapore trip I spacificaly asked for the cheepest fare too singapore the lady agent quoted my $170 Base price on thai airways (which if you knew nothing about prices on asia flights you'd think is a GREAT price about 50% or more saving from prices on some US online sites. But I read the bangkok post and saw many ads on a couple of airlines offering trips on FIN and SWISS air for $95 base price. I told the lady about the FIN flight and she was a bit shocked and asked around and was told too look under desk (#3) for the poor folk pricing list.

I would definatly use seatours, heck, they are only one bloak away from my apartment. but as james and you have said they are part of the American express network which adds a lot a value and securuity too your purchase. but I would go in well informed on airfares..
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM

i am comparing it to calling the airlines direct and on web sites as well as travelocity and expedia type sites
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Yes, the Bangkok Post offers some great airfares. Up until this year, I was reading the paper regularly...just got tired of driving into Dokya bookstore in downtown L.A.(Main Street...China Town area...but not China Town proper) to pick up a copy every week. But for those of you who are in L.A. area, you can contact Dokya bookstore...2 locations...the other is in Thai Town on Hollywood Blvd near Western in the Silom grocery store parking lot. The folks at Dokya can reserve you a copy of the Bangkok Post.Try to talk to the owner,Peter as many of the workers don't understand much English. Peter is at the Hollywood location a lot. Happy Travels!