Whats hot in Tokyo ????

Search

Whats hot in Tokyo ????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats hot in Tokyo ????

I know its a shotgun question !! We will be in Tokyo for 4 days in early January and I would like to collect some thoughts from you fine folk who may be there or have just returned.
2 adults and 2 15 year old girls !!!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM

The grand sumo tournament doesn't start until the 13th, so maybe too late for you.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM

I know it will be cold

Some info here

http://tinyurl.com/39vwut

http://tinyurl.com/32nwnq

Have a great trip!

Aloha!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys !!! Any hot restaurants around Shinjuku I should book ??
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Hi

I went there a couple of years back. Maybe you can find some useful info in my trip report http://gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

One of the first places I checked Gard !!!!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Marko,

You have my recommendations I think in Shinjuku already, if not here is from my TR:

My favorite restaurant in Shinjuku and Tokyo, not for it's decor or view, but it's food and atmosphere is:
Restaurant Le Coupe Chou
1-15-7 Nishishinjuku Shinjuku-ku Tokyo
Tel (03)3348-1610

No English menus but the night manager speaks enough English to get bye and if you know a little French ie canard=duck poisson=fish you can figure it out.

Of course the supposed #1 restaurant in Tokyo is The New York Grill in the Park Hyatt Hotel. Reservations are a must.

http://tinyurl.com/3b4bfy

Also in Shinjuku try:

"Spaccia Napoli Restaurante
This gem of an Italian (of course) Restaurant is located on the 52nd floor of the Shinjuku Sumitomo Bldg. There are I think 14 or so restaurants on the 49th thru 52nd floors of this building. All of them are world class. They have a Misono’s (the original restaurant that Benihanas, Kobe Steak Houses and numerous others try to recreate but miss the mark) and several other French and Indian, Chinese, Japanese, sushi, etc. restaurants all with a spectacular view of Tokyo."

Aloha!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HT, I have taken some notes previously thanks a lot !!
Sumitomo building sounds good !!!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 01:54 AM

If you're there on a Sunday take your girls to Harajuku and watch how the Japanese teens rebel. The place is teeming with youngsters and they are all dressed up as punks, goths and little Bo-peeps. Omotesando has some interesting shops.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Cilla does it only happen on Sundays ?? We have only a half day on sunday !!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM

I don't really know Marko. Perhaps on Saturday too. We were there in spring so presume they'll be there in winter too but perhaps in the afternoon.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cilla, I just double checked our times and we don't fly out until late on Sunday, so we might get a chance in the morning!!!
I have seen footage of it and it looks like a fun place...might be cold though !
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM

Marko, you might consider Dezome-shiki (Tokyo Fire-man's New Year's Parade) which occurs at Tokyo Big Sight on January 6. The firemen dress up in traditional costumes and do acrobatic stunts.

http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/explore...zomeshiki.html

Also, on January 2, the Imperial Palace Grounds is open to the public. It's only open to the public twice a year.

If you like the plastic food you see in the restaurant windows, then head on over to Kappabashi Dori near Asakusa and purchase your own plastic food.

As for the Harajuku goth and lolita kids, they normally hang out on the bridge just outside the south exit of Harajuku Station.

If you have time, take the JR Yamanote down to Meguro Station and look for Tonki, who make the best tonkatsu in Tokyo (and maybe Japan).
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
emd

My experience w/the Harajuku kids on that bridge is that they don't really start hanging out there til around 11-noon on Sunday. BUt your 15 yr old daughter would probably LOVE the streets right across from the station that are pedestrain only and are full of Japanese teens. Lots of fun little clothing and teen-ish stores there, the wonderful crepe stands, etc. My daughter and I really enjoyed that.

That area is very busy on both Saturdays and Sundays. But the kids dressed up in cosplay on the bridge are only there on Sundays.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks EMD, sounds right up their alley !!!

Getting close to wheels up time !!!
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 03:43 AM

IMO you realy should take some time to explore the Ginza DURING THE DAY...even if you only window shop. The retail is amazing, the streets are immaculate, and if you venture into one of the larger department stores and their food hall i don;t think you'll regret it.

It is just as much a part of modern Japan as anything else.

How about a visit to the Imperial Palace grounds; the Tokyo Tower might be worth a stop.

Also, even with only four days, a trip out to the Mount Fuji region would give you an entirely different view of Japan and it is stunning in terms of scenery and alpine lakes.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:57 AM
emd

The good street hip in Harajuku is Takeshita-dori. Kids will be dressed in pop to the max there.

I second the Tokyo Tower recommendation. Do it at night, it's great. Esp. on a very windy night. There is a funky wax museum and holograph exhibit in the Tower also. And if you are lucky, the guy w/the wood-burning sweet potatoe roasting cart will be set up outside the Tower.

They also might like the huge neon lit ferris wheel that goes over the water in Odaiba, along w/the Italian-theme mall "Venus Fort" in Odaiba (kind of like the Venetian hotel mall in Vegas). There is an automated monorail train that goes to Odaiba, the Yurikamome, that is tres cool. Sit in the front car.

My daughter enjoyed lunch at Sometaro when we went to Senjosi temple. Sumetaro is a sit on the floor place where you have a big griddle in front of you and you choose ingredients for your okonomiayaki-type lunch. Very fun.

If you are interested in that, let me know and I can lead you to my trip report.

Also, they might like the arcades and neon and fun elevtronics gadget stores in Akihabara.

I don't know if they like theme parks, but Disney Sea is just incredible. Best theming of any park I can imagine. My daughter and I loved it. Great rides. Should not be too crowded on a week day in early Jan., maybe Kim Japan can comment on that.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

EMD, would love to look at your report, all info is good info. We are good travellers !! LOL
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:25 PM

I actually have those emd's tr's bookmarked....good reading with lots of info

http://tinyurl.com/27h47o

http://tinyurl.com/ysbul2

Aloha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -