Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What were your side effects from doxycycline?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are definitely going to take the anti-malarial meds and I have seen the lists of side effects. However, what side effects did anyone here actually have?

Thanks!
Mary in Korea
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I had none! Knowing that doxycycline increases sensitivity to the sun, however, I was especially careful to use sunscreen every day. Neither my daughter nor I had any problems whatsoever. One key piece of advice: take it with food. There was one day when I took it on an empty stomach and felt a little nauseous/queasy shortly thereafter. From then on, I made sure to take it with a meal.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:22 PM

We ended up with a great tan that lasted several weeks. A client of mine actually commented on it 3 weeks after we had returned. That being said, if you are fair-complexioned, you should take appropriate precautions.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:19 PM

Mary -- for women there's a specific side effect. You'll want to take some meds from home with you just in case, as I don't know what the drug store facilities are like in SR. Not life threatening, but not fun vacation stuff either. A web search will tell you more. Or email me.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Jenn, That's the side effect I am most worried about. Please expect an email.

Thanks!!

Mary in Korea
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
mjs

I should note that every person may have a different response to any medication. Doxycycline and others of it's class such as tetracycline and minocycline are used by millions of teenagers for acne control and are generally well tolerated by most people. The response of a few people on this board will not help you very much. Best talk to your doctor.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:22 AM

Jenskars warning should be heeded, was a side effect for Mrs Walltotti, we managed to get treatment for it though from a small chemists in Northern Thailand near the Burmese border.

I have also read that Doxycycline can reduce the effectiveness of the birth control pill.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 08:08 AM

My traveling companion took doxy as an anti-malarial on one trip and had no side effects. She took along a medication for vaginal yeast infections (also known as vaginal thrush in the UK), but had no need to use it. If it were me, I'd take it along just in case.

Remember that you have to continue to take doxy for 4 weeks after leaving the malarial risk area.

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 08:24 AM

It should be noted that actually all antibiotics have the potential of reducing the efficacy of birth control pill, especially if the antibiotic is one that is metabolized through the liver. That said, Doxycycline isn't as bad as some of the others.
The great thing about doxy (especially for those of us from the Northeast of US and/or parts of Europe) is that it is the treatment of choice for Lyme disease, so it can serve a double purpose... ward off Malaria and kill any of those little spirochetes (lyme) that we maybe didn't know we were carrying around...
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 08:27 AM

One more thing... as stated before, all of the tetracyclines can cause sun sensitivity and in young children can stain their teeth.
Yeast infections can happen with most strong antibiotics. Eating lots of yogurt should held counteract this (and is great for the bones, too!)
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM

I'm traveling to Siem Reap in December and plan to use Malarone as my anti-malarial. You only have to take it for a day or two before exposure and one week after. I didn't really want to take an antibiotic for a month.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM

I'll be taking Malarone as well for Cambodia/Thailand in Jan. The biggest side effects are mainly stomach upset.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your candor and feedback.

I don't think I really have a choice in terms of which anti-malarial since it is the on carried by the base pharmacy. I'll carry several doses of whichever med the doc prescribes just in case and hope for the best. Yogurt is already a mainstay so hopefully that really will help.

Thanks!!
Mary in Korea

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM

Since my insurance company wouldn't pay for malarone, we'll be taking doxycycline when we leave this week. My pharmacist suggested taking a "pro-biotic" called Culturelle to balance the effects of the antibiotic. Although non-prescription, it was kept behind the counter and had to be requested.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM

My new dermatologist refused to prescribe doxy for me, said it made my already sensitive skin way, way to sun sensitive and he said the risk of actual true burn wasn't worth it. A doctor in Siem Reap who I will be working with said malaria protection beyond occasional bug spray is worthless- he said not one hospital employee there has ever contracted malaria (visitors like myself for a month or so) and no one takes any medications so I'm not bothering with malarone or anything other than bug spray.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM

I have spent loads of money on anti-malaria medication over the years. Travelling to Borneo,Cambodia,Thailand,The Gambia,Laos,and many other countries. My wife and I have allways been ill taking these medications and no longer bother with them.
The best way to avoid Malaria is to avoid being bitten!!!
Cover up well use good repellant and just use common sense.
Hey, it's not rocket science just ask any Aussie and they will tell you the same.
Forget the pills!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe it's an individual decision as to whether to take or forgo the pills. Some would say the risk is small and they're willing to take that risk and rely on mosquito repellant to keep from getting bitten. Others would say even a small risk for such a serious disease warrants the medication. Neither choice is right or wrong. I think it's what you're comfortable with, in consultation with your doctor, rather than what we say. Good luck!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM

As a health care provider, I always cringe when someone says "I didn't get that vaccine and I didn't get sick" or "I didn't take anti-malarials and I didn't get sick." Neither of those statements is helpful to a person trying to make a decision about the matter.

Everyone is different; each of us needs to make the best decision we can in consultaion with our health care providers. It only takes one bite from an infected mosquito to transmit malarial. Malaria can be deadly, Cerebral malaria can kill within hours. Everyone deserves as much information as possible to make a good decision.

Of course, the issues for those livivng in a malarial risk area are much different from those of travelers to a malarial risk area. So consider the source when you read what others have to say. I don't know that many people in Cambodia, but I know several who have had malaria.

The website I rely on for travel medicine information is www.cdc.gov/travel
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback. I am going to address my concerns again with my doctor, specifically since I too have very fair skin and am concerned about 6 weeks on antibiotics.

I'm the kind of person who is getting rabies shots just in case I get bitten by a monkey, which I intend to feed if I have the chance. My kiddos and husband are having the shots too. So, I tend to rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again!
Mary
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Dear Kdk, Whilst I acknowledge that there is much one can do to prevent mosquito bites (as a health care professional and just a normal traveller) I am NOT willing to take the risk. So I take Doxy whereever and whenever my doctor recommends it. The only side effect I have have experienced is an over sensitivity to sunlight/sunburn but believe me this is minor compare to a full blown malaria attack. I probably could and should have handled this better had I been more aware and actually more diligent using sunscreen.... I have not experience the side effect of thrush but this is common with many antibiotics. If you are sensitive to this obviously you need to be prepared as this can be an extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable side effect.
Please don't risk it. I don't believe it is worth taking a chance. Take the doxy....
Cheers
Tracey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -