Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What were the dates of the 2004 Chinese National Holiday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What day did the National Holiday begin on in 2004? I'd like to know since 10/1 is on a Sat. this year and read a post in which someone said it was possible that the holiday could have started the preceding Mon., which was 9/27. I know that the dates won't be announced until closer to the holiday, but I think that last year's dates might be an indication of when the holiday would take place this year.

I am currently researching Beijing and Tokyo for late May/early June, but I'm not having much luck with the airfare for that timeframe, so Sept. is the next choice, which is why I'd like to know. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:33 PM

The "actual" holiday dates are usually three days long and always the 1, 2 and 3rd. Then the gov't adds these extra holiday days to make a "golden week" (Much like Japan's May golden week) holiday. To get the week long break, employees are required to work compensatory days, usually the weekend before the week holiday begins. For October 2005, they will likely be working September 24 and 25th, and kids will be in school. The break will be October 1-7.

The have a labor holiday for the first week of May, which employs the same system of compensatory holidays.

No credit is given when the holiday falls over the weekend. Both times are a terrible time to travel in China.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bchen. Would we be ok if we traveled to Beijing from 9/24-9/30, then?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:08 PM

Those dates would be ideal for Beijing, not only crowd wise, but weather wise. As you mentioned, though, the gov't won't announce them officially and there is talk of eliminating the compensatory scheme altogether, but that won't happen this year.
Bon voyage
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:54 PM

The dates for national day have already been announced. They are Oct 1-7 with Sat/Sun Oct 8-9 designated as the make-up work weekend.