what to do in Chiang Rai?

Sep 10th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

what to do in Chiang Rai?

Hello,

I just arrived in Chiang Rai and am feeling a little lost! I had hoped to go on a one-day trek, but that depends on whether any groups decide to go that I can gatecrash.

I'm here for four days, can anyone suggest day trips or things that I can do - I am travelling alone and reliant on tours or public transport. I will take the bus and spend one day in Mae Salong (as I love tea!), but otherwise have no plans, although I would like to be based in Chiang Rai. Are there any cooking classes that anyone knows about near here?
thank you for your help.

katherine
Sep 10th, 2007, 03:46 AM

It was 10 years ago that I was in Chiang Rai but on that occasion I stayed in an Akha Village for about a week. I don't know what it's like now but I know they are still operating, do a search for "Akha Hill House" or find the link on my webpage which I'll post below. The chief of the village, Apae can arrange day trips to the Golden Triangle and other areas.

http://www.travelsinasia.com/Thailand/ChiangRai.htm
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Hi katherine,

Hey - can't help, wish I could. Just posting to say I know the feeling!!

There are so many places I've been where there are (allegedy) trips and tours. But only if you are part of a group.

I mean, there's some things you need an organised tour for, and there's plenty of people wanting your business - but min pax is two.

Best I can offer, if you are not doing so already, is to stay somewhere in CR where there will be other solo traveller.

Or at least check out the places where other solo budget travellers might be found.

That's one way of getting a group together.

Best of luck.

Sep 10th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the response - am feeling a little less overwhelmed by it all! I think I've found a trek for one day, Doi Mae Salong I can do by myself (I will check out Kum Jom Pon Restaurant) and the rest of the time, I will just force myself to relax and see what comes. adventure and enjoyment is all a frame of mind, after all!
Cheers for the solidarity!

Katherine
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:16 AM

go to a local travel agent and they will have some offers for you...

one must see day is to visit the princess grandmother's former estate called doi tung.....
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:38 AM

A day trip to the Golden Triangle with stops at CHaing Sean for Lanna ruins and the museum (also an interesting food market there) and on to Doi Tung as mentioned by Bob. You can hire a car and driver... you don't have to be dependent on tour groups.

Search this Thread