What to cut out?

Search

What to cut out?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to cut out?

My wife and I are planning a trip to SE Asia in January -- our first -- and we (like everyone) want to see and do as much as possible. Problem is, after looking over our initial itinerary, it seems we're trying to cover too much. We're interested in culture, food, seeing the sites, some outdoorsy activities, like day hikes (but that isn't our focus).

Our wish list was Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Golden Triangle Area of Thailand, Hanoi and Siem Reap. We have 17 full days on the ground. Flying into and out of Bangkok and will spend about 3-4 days there visiting friends. Cutting anything hurts, but we'd rather be somewhere we can settle in for a few days and spend some time poking around than be picking up and moving every two days, though we would like to cover as many of these areas as is reasonably possible.

I know this is subject to personal tastes, but I'm wondering what people would suggest cutting off the list -- either because it's too logistically complicated or just because at some point you have to choose among many good options(trying to get to that point now).

Thanks much -- this board has been a real find.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 04:14 PM

With 17 full days on the ground, I'd say that four is the maximum number of places to visit, and personally, I'd prefer three.

I'd suggest that you cut Hanoi from your itinerary. It's a fascinating city, but I'd say save it for another trip when you can see more of Vietnam.

All of the places you've chosen are fascinating and very different from each other. If you're like the rest of us on this board, this will just be the first trip of many.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM

I answered this but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyway I would eliminate both Hanoi and Luang Prabang. Not because they aren't wonderful but because I think you need a lot more time in both countries to understand their culture and history. I would spend the 17 days in Bangkok (6-8 days total), northern thailand which is far more than the golden triangle for 6-7 days and siem reap for 3 or 4 days.It will give you a good sense of thailand and enable you to see a great archeological site without spending half your trip on planes.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM

I'll jump on the cut Hanoi bandwagon, but my reason is that it will be too cold in January. Spring is the time to visit. In the winter, the city is too cold and miserable to really enjoy.

You need a minimum of five days in Seam Reap to really take in the temple complex.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I also agree you should cut Hanoi and save it for a trip to Vietnam. I do not agree that you need 5 days in Siem Reap. We spent two days visiting the temples and we saw the major temples and a few minor ones as well, including the one always mentioned here with trees growing right up through them. We went early in the morning and were the only ones there so you CAN have that experience in just a few days. Not everyone can take day after day of visiting ruins, it depends on the person. That said, when I go back, I would like an extra day or two there but many people would be content with 2 or three. wdmccart and his wife will have to decide how much time is enough for them. Angkor is worth visitng, even if only for a few days.

I think BKK for 5 days, Luang Prabang for 3 days, Angkor for 3 days and Northern Thailand for 6 would be a great trip. In Northern Thailand, you can go to Chiang Mai for 2 or three days and then spend the rest in the Chiang Rai and/or Golden Triangle area. This would be a very nice introduction to SEA.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:49 PM

me too....cut hanoi and make VN a trip in itself...

i would have time in bkk both at the beginning and the end of my trip...especially at the beg. as you need to deal with jet-lague...day one is a total waste...

i then would move on to SR (angkor) for 3 full days...take the last flight out at 7PM thus giving yourselves a full day touring and a full day the next day in bkk.....bkk air is the carrier...you can save money using their air pass...need to each use 3 legs to qualify...

i would then have 2 more days in bkk...

then i would fly to chiang mai for 2-3 days max...

from there i would see if i could fly bkk air to luang prabang for my rest phase...3-4 days is plenty there...then back to bkk....

you can use bkk air on all these flights and save quite a bit...

this would be too much for me but you want to get a good taste of everything...you could cut out either chiang mai or luang prabang....my suggestion would be CM...

don't cut back on bkk however....as gloria says we could spend all 17 days there and have in the past and will in the future...