Weekend from BKK in October before return to US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just starting to plan a Bangkok December business trip with holiday added when it has been switched to October! So, I have to get my plans in order to make the flght arrangements and appointments and need some advice for my free weekend at the end of the trip.

I have been to Thailand once before with my husband strictly for fun. We stayed in Bangkok for a few days and had a great time visiting the Palace and wats, riding long boat, etc. We enjoyed Ayutthya and a wat with nesting open billed storks on a day trip. And we took a long weekend at Khao Yai National Park to see the bats, gibbons, birds, etc.

This time I will be on my own. I will probably be able to squeeze in some sights around Bangkok around my meetings during the week, then I will be free from Friday afternoon until I have to catch a plane back to the US from BKK late Sunday night. If I know where I want to go, I could also do an open jaw return from somewhere else on Sunday night or Monday morning.

So, where should I go/what should I do since I will be on my own and I would like to see something beyond Bangkok in just a weekend?

I could conceivably fly from BKK north Friday - Sunday as I haven't been to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. Visit orchid farm, elephant conservation park, crafts shops?

I could hire a driver from BKK to the floating market and what for one day? What for the other day?

Where/what else should I consider as a 47-year-old female on my own who enjoys seeing the local culture and architecture, natural beauty, birds and wildlife? I don't want to spend my time in a spa or lying on a beach. Some shopping is OK for crafts.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:22 AM

hire rat for opne day or even two to take you around...she is fantastic...have her take you to the floating market, the pottery shed and even to the river quai....we did it in a 13 hour day...very long, but satisfying day...

your time is really too short to go any place else and have it worthwhile...except maybe chiang mai and that is boring...

stay at the pen or oriental and do the massage routine, etc on the other day if you wish...kathie is often talking about a day of beauty at the mandara spa at the sheraton, marriott or oriental so you might contact them...

i would stay in bkk, do some shopping, nice eating and relaxing...
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:23 AM

i should add that the weather can be less than ideal in october so that is a consideration as well
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:22 AM

Stay in Bangkok. Go to Jim Thompson House, Viamanek Mansion and take a day trip to the floating market and/or River Kwai. Take another klong ride and stop at the flower market and temple of dawn. Stay at the Oriental or another river hotel and enjoy the spa and watching the river over breakfast and drinks. Maybe go to one of the wonderful spas. Walk around Chinatown.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Have Ratt take you to the night market.
I would avoid the weekend market- too hot and busy.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Wow--so many quick replies. I can see you guys will help me get this organized.

However, again, I do not want to relax at a spa, get a massage, etc. I also do not care for much shopping or special dining. I will have been dining out in Bangkok all week by then anyway.

I will fit the intown sights I missed last time (Jim Thompson House, Viamanek Mansion) into the weekdays.

So, so far I see a recommendation for a day trip to the floating market.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Lets see:
1) You don't want to shop
2) Don't want massages
3) Not interested in special dining

Are you sure you want to be in Bangkok????
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:49 AM

You could go to the River Kwai on the other day.

If you want to leave Bangkok I would suggest either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. The latter is better for nature and villages. The former for crafts. You can do elephant center from either and you can go to the Queen's Botanical Garden from either. But if you do either of those I would make sure you have at least two full days.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:37 PM

the reason i suggest that you not leave the bkk area is the following: if you are flying some place the earliest you could get a flight would be friday at 3-5PM...you then would have all day saturday and then sunday you need to come back to bkk for your flight home....you would have no place to freshen up and regroup if you had given up your bkk hotel...better to stay local and do day trips: floating market, river quai, ayuttha (spelled wrong) and other bkk sites not yet seen: suan packard, v-mark palace, zoo...
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:05 PM

I see no reason why you shouldn?t get out of Bangkok. The argument that you need to freshen up is spurious. There are plenty of flights between Bangkok and say, Chiangmai and you should be able to select one that connects with your onward flight so that you don?t have too long to wait at Bangkok. They will certainly be able to check your luggage through and they may be able to ticket you through, that depends on which airline you are flying with. The flight from Chiangmai to Bangkok takes an hour, if you were staying at a hotel on the river in Bangkok you would be leaving for the airport before you would have to check-in in Chiangmai.

One word of warning, the cheap airlines have low luggage allowances, so be careful of booking with them if you are travelling with a full International allowance.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:16 PM

all that is said above is true providing that the flights leave and arrive on time and that some other unforseen happening does not occur...you would be very unhappy to be late for your transpacific flight and maybe miss it...

is it worth it to go to say CM for 24+ hours....i think not...

i like to arrive for a long flight in clean clothes and a recent shower, fresh, etc....maybe that is not a priority for some....its a long flight to the usa...so to some it is "spurious", but common sense and experience tells me it is not....you judge...
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions--just what I need. I always wish I could have an extra week to holiday when I have to go someplace like this, but sometimes my calendar just won't allow and I make the most of what is available even though it might not be ideal.

BillT--No, I'm not sure I want to be in Bangkok after I finish work. That's what I was asking based on my interests. We did enjoy the city on our last visit, but even then I didn't do any shopping, spas, or even fine dining. I think one of the best meals we had was cooked outdoors in Khao Yai National Park (sorry if I misspell anything--it has been several years since our visit). It was great.

As for hotels, I may not have a choice for during the week whether to be on the river--must go where the meeting is to be held. Then I can either extend at wherever that is or move for the weekend. If the tentative air schedules I've seen are accurate, most connections for me leave BKK at 1:00 or 2:00 am, so I don't know if I will pay for an extra night at the hotel to freshen up before heading to the airport. I sometimes check for airport showers before departure or where connecting--probably Seoul or Tokyo. That's come in handy upon arrival in Europe.

I will dig out the guidebooks from previous trip. I know we looked at the floating market and an historical city that we didn't choose for last trip.

As for the weather--last time we went in December and it was record cold. Everyone was freezing at the park where no one had warm blankets or any source of heat. I know October can be rainy, so I'll bring the GoreTex!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 08:22 PM

If you can get an open jaw ticket, you might enjoy a short trip to Hong Kong or Singapore, for instance. It wouldn't be worth doing time-wise if you had to fly back to Bangkok.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the floating market or the weekend market. I'd stay in Bangkok and shop and spa, but those aren't your interests.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:40 PM

KAY you should probably make a post on your visist too Kal kaoi yai (SP) it is a verry popular tourist place for thais but not visited much by tourist/or travelser.

As for your weekend.. doing the nature thing in thailand is basicly a no go. lots of floading going on..

I'd say pick another city in the regian and explore. thats what it seems you want too do.. Kuala lampour, singapore, anywher within a 2-4 hour flight should be fine. and you do have the time. since you wont be taking your time dinning, shopping or being a slug on a massage bed. for those of us who like too travel and explore cities you really don't need 5 days as is usually mentioned by manny..

your in bkk for the week so you can easaly catch a night flight on friday getting you too your prefered desination .. check in too hotel have a night walk etc. from there ya have 1 full day and night on sunday make your way back too Don muang airport. hell you'll spend the same amount of time flying too BKK as you would taking a taxi from your hotel in bkk too don muang. and if you choose a city outside of thailand maybe you can make a good flight connection too your next destination.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:35 AM

I would suggest you consider going to Ankor Wat in Cambodia. That is good for a 2-day trip. If you could possibly get a flight out to Siam Riep on Friday evening, that would give you plenty of time. You should be able to take a return flight on Sunday and then connect right to your international flight. I don't think there are a lot of international flights departing from Cambodia (i.e. Phnom Penh), but it's worth checking to see if that would be a possibility.

As mentioned above, it will be quite wet in Thailand/Cambodia at that time, but I don't think that would interfere too much with the sightseeing.

If you want to stay in Bangkok, I would suggest you go to the National Museum if you have not been and to the Vimarnmek Palace if you have not been already. The palace has some very good local handicrafts for sale, esp the woven items. You might also consider a half day cooking class.

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 04:03 AM

Consider Kanchanaburi. We did it for 1.5 days. It is approx 2.5 hours drive from Bkk. we stayed at a hotel on an island which could be reached only by boat - Kasem island resort. We really enjoyed it. For a car to get you there you could contact Ratt who is oft mentioned on this forum or juliestaxi - www.julietaxi.com
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Yeah! My trip has been switched back to December. That means I can take a few days vacation and my hubby will join me for 5 days around Christmas.

I will still use your suggestions for around Bangkok for my first full day before going to work and for any days with free time. I'll play it by ear-- Jim Thompson House, Viamanek Mansion, flower market, national museum, night market, Joe Luis theater.

I'll post separately now that I get to plan a 5 day holiday before returning to BKK last night before 7 am flight back to States. Hubby definitely wants to go somewhere different from last trip to see and do new things.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM

IMO... Then you should travel to Chiang Mai! We (hubby, son, and I) have usually gone there for only a 2-night stay and have always enjoyed this northern city.
Carol
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Carol.
I'm going to review all the old Northern Thailand posts in addition to my Eyewitness Travel Guide now that this has firmed up.

I must choose--not enough time for everything in just 5 days. What's I read so far that I think would provide us with a different experience this trip is a flight to Chiang Mai, then...choose between show at Cultural Center and night bazaar in CM, Doi Su THep, day at Elephant Conservation Center in Lampang, Doi Inthanon for bird watching and walking (Inthanon Highland Resort), hilltribe or mountain treks (Lisu Lodge), orchids, botanic gardens--so many choices and so little time. Then to decide how much on our own and how much to hire car/driver/guide.

Oops. I think I wrote my new post here. I'll copy and paste with new topic.