Weather in KL & Langkawi in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a holiday in KL & Langkawi around the middle of May for 2 weeks. I've read that bcoz of the Monsoons this isn't the best time to visit Has anyone been there during this period & would there be so much rain it would ruin our holiday, or is it just a few showers.
I would also like to know the names of a few good restaurants in KL & Langkawi. We're planning on staying at the Pelangi Resort in Langkawi bcoz it seems to be central for most of the restaurants there.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:10 AM

You just have to avoid the big monsoon around Oct - Jan in Malaysia. Other times ia always nice and feel free to enjoy May season. Showers of rain is normal during evening in some days but it will just refresh your sunny mood. Pelangi resort is one of the best choice for its star rating, and worth for money. I've been to about 12 resorts in Langkawi. If u havent decided your stay plan, u can consider Berjaya Langkawi or Rebak Marina (worth for money and highly rated!)
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:16 AM

For super deluxe stay, try Andaman, Tanjung Rhu or Datai. They have the best sceneries of the island surrounding. Tanjung Rhu is Michael Schumacher's frequent choice in Malaysia! For food in LAngkawi, try Barn Thai, its located in a mangroove forest. Enjoy!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:20 AM

That is very surprising Juney because Langkawi as you obviously know is close to Phuket/Krabi/Koh Lanta and 'their' Monsoon time along the West coast of the peninsular is May to October, I stand to be corrected but I never thought May-October was a dry time of year for Langkawi, I always opressumed it had the same weather patterns as the west coast of Southern Thailand.

Oh, yes, the Pelangi is a great resort, best choice in my humble opinion.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:36 AM

JamesA,
Your're right about the west coast monsoon but topographically, rainfall in May season doesn't affect much to Langkawi and Penang compare to Kuala Lumpur. Well, we learn more by sharing facts...
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Juney, thanks for your help. I was really pleased to read that there isn't a problem in May with the monsoon.
As I said before our choice of the Pelangi Resort was based on the fact that it was more central than the others, but to be honest we would've prefered a more deluxe resort. If we should decide on 1 of the resorts you mentioned how far away are they with respect to retaurants etc.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:04 AM

You can check out the locations of the resorts I mentioned:
http://www.hoteltravel.com/malaysia/langkawi/maps.htm
Pelangi Beach is located in a compact area of resorts, you will find it busier than other spots. For a sense of untouched and tranquility, Datai and Andaman serves the best out of it.Both hotels pick up their guests from the airport or jetty for free. Datai owns a reserved rainforest beside the sea, you can feel yourself living in a jungle with exclusive accommodation. Tanjung Rhu has the longest private beach, if you dont want a crowded feeling. Rebak Marina sits in a small island but transport from or to the resort by boat is free!
Distance wise, anywhere in Langkawi can be easily accessed by using free shuttle service provided by some of these deluxe hotels. Just ask the hotel people they'll be grateful to tell u. Alternatively, you can rent a car or motorbike to tour around the island as it only takes about 3 hours to finish the lap. Rentals are basically very cheap around US30.00 - 40.00 per day for a car even in peak seasons. (I got it once for only US20.00, so please bargain) Public transport in Langkawi is very affordable as they charge US2.00 - 3.00 per person (any location) or even lower than that. So, you dont have to worry about the distance of restaurants from your place!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:59 AM

The monsoon season would have ended by then (it's normally Nov-Jan sometime) so May is actually a really good time to go. Beware tho, it gets really hot and humid.

As for food, KL is chock-a-block with restaurants, road-side stalls etc.

Find a Chinese restaurant that displays the Tai Hong sign. It shows that they are part of the Tai Hong group and you are guranteed to get a fantastic meal.

Also, get to BANGSAR. Its a housing suburb but some of ths shop houses have been re-done and houses some of the trendier restaurants, pubs and clubs.There is a really good Indian restaurant there and find out from the locals when the PASAR MALAM (night market) is held there. Worth the visit.