Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Weather in Japan in January, is it too cold?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I write you from Italy. I would like to visit Japan next January, a trip of 12 / 15 days starting on 1st of 2nd Jan. My itinerary is the “classic” Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima with an extension to Naoshima island.
The question is: I know that the weather is cold as in Milan (some degrees around 0 celsius) but is it raining / snowing a lot? I would like to take this opportunity because of 30 / 50% of discount of flights cost…
Please, my I have your opinions / suggestions? Grazie, ciao.
Gianni
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I spent 10 days there last Jan. and did not find it too cold but think I was quite lucky as in the previous Feb. when I visited, it was much colder and wetter. You just have to be prepared for cold and rain/snow since there is no guarantee what you'll get! On the upside, I could see Mt Fuji everyday from my window and there are fewer tourists and better prices for some hotels. It gets VERY humid there in the summer so, in my opinion, winter is a great time to go. Kyoto was beautiful with the snow covered temples. If you really don't like the cold, Nov. or March would be better.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Grazie (Thanks). No real problems with cold, also Milan in winter has same problems with also the fog on top.. I just discovered that I can have the same very low flight fare also in March / April I can plan to move ahead my plan and go from 20 / 25 March and returm home after 15 days.. Doyou think that is it better (less weather problems, not a lot of Tourists, still good prices...) Thanks again, Gianni
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 09:24 AM

If you travel March 25 to April 10 you will possibly be in the prime cherry blossom season. It will be busy but a must see in my opinion and the best time to visit Japan. Yes pricing will be more expensive but see what kind of deals you can get now. What is your budget and how many are traveling?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

Aloha!
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

I booked our flights: Milan - Tokyo on 20 March and we return back home on 6 April! We are 2, my Wife and I. My budget is (more or less) around 180 max 200 us dollars per day for lodging and meals (it means that I'll try to book a double room at a daily rate of max 10 /11.000 yen.Now I have to start preparing our itinerary in detail, I thinks that in the near future I'll ask for help in this forum.... Grazie, ciao.