weather and water

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Jeff

weather and water

Considering a trip to Thailand with my wife and 2 teenage girls. After BKK, part of the trip we would like to experience the beaches and water activities (snorkel, scuba, sailing). I have read the board and noted recommendations for Hua Hin.

I would appreciate input on two issues - we are planning to go in late June, is the weather to rainy for a "beach type" stay? Also, for great snorkeling, scuba and beaches, what are would you go?

Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 08:29 AM
norma

depends where you decide to go. Phuket is rainy but somewhere like Koh Samui would be perfect. also it will have a little more variety in the evenings which may help to keep teenage girls happy!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 09:58 AM
ruben

Planning a trip to Bangkok in late September. Will the rain be a cause of concern?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Pas14

For snorkeling and diving Hua Hin is not suitable. You need to go at least as far south as Chumpon. However, Phuket is the best major resort for diving. June, however, is not an ideal time, since the southwest monsoon make the sea choppy, produces dangerous currents and murky waters. Of course, having said that, one can always find some places to dive on the more sheltered (eastern) side of the island. The weather and sea tend to be a bit better on Koh Samui, but the diving is not as good.

There is an excellent illustrated book on diving sites in Thailand that rates all sites and lists all pertinent details, entitled something like "Guide to Thai Diving Sites" by Colin Piprell.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Kathy

Another good book is Lonely Planet's Diving & Snorkeling Thailand by Mark Strickland & John Williams. It includes a chapter on Western Gulf diving sites including Koh Samui and Ang Thong Marine National Park.