Ways to go Damoen Saduak Floating Market

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to go the Dameon Saduak Floating Market during one of the days in my Bangkok trip on November. I had been thinking on the ways i should get there.

As i read from the forum, usually people will hire a guide Tong/Ratt/Cherry where they will pick up at the hotel and arrange everything for us. However, the price is kind of over budget for me. 3000B for full day include 1200B gas charges and probably 200-300B for others charges like parking and stuff. So, in total it's around 4500B which is expensive for me.

So, in there any alternate way that i can go to Dameon Saduak Floating Market? Bus, train or tour? What will it cost?

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM

Back in the late 90s, I just booked a day tour there and there were 3 or 4 places included on the tour for a 12-hour day. I booked through my hotel and there was a bus that picked up people from different hotels. It cost US$39.00 and was quite nice. I met some nice people which was great since I travel alone. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM

A couple of things to consider. Hiring a driver (Ratt, for instance) is different from hiring a guide (Tong, for instance). A driver is generally less expensive than a guide. Also, consider your time. If you take a tour to the Floating Market, it will take a full day and will take you to places like the Rose Garden. If you are interested in going to those places, fine. But if not, you'll waste half a day doing things you aren't interested in. My time is precious to me - especially on vacation. There may be ways to get close to the Floating Market by public transport, but it is a fair distance out of town. CHeck the Lonely Planet guide. They would have information like this.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM

ARE YOU ONLY one person?? then it is quite expensive, but if you are two then the cost is not that bad...

you can go by train, but not directly to the market....you can go by bus tour...you can go by taxi...you can go by private driver (from the hotel or AAC limo or similar), you can hire a guide...

i really do not feel that a guide is necessary...the first time we went we took a driver from the marriott for 4-5 hours (hourly rate)...he just dropped us off and we saw plenty...but i had done some reading in advance..

i agree that 4500 would be too expensive, but i think it could be done for far less...i paid ratt about $100 for a full day which included the market and lasted 13 hours...

you can do the market alone and back to bkk in about 4-5 hours i think if you only go there...
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

i'm not going alone. never been a solo traveller before. I'm actually going with my girlfriend. So, there is 2 of us.

We only plan to visit the floating market and ride elephant.(since there is no place where we can ride an elephant in Bangkok) So, half a day tour will be enough. So, most probably going to hire a driver which i already contacted Ratt and the charges is 1800B for half day tour with 3B/km petrol charge.

BTW, is there any places around the floating market that worth going? I heard about an Elepahnt zoo where there is elephant show and crocodile show. Is it somewhere nearby the market?
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:21 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
You could join a tour group (much less fun in my view, but also much cheaper).
Here's one for 1430B per person.

Alternatively, according to Frommers:
"You can do it on your own by local bus from the Southern Bus terminal (tel. 02435-1199) to Damnoen Saduak, but it's much more simple by tour."

Good luck!
Karen
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Oops forgot the link to the tour I mentioned in previous post:

http://www.bangkok.com/floating-market/
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:07 AM

I did not notice any elephants at the floating market area. As for the day tour, it was easy and inexpensive. The Rose Garden was NOT included in the tour that I took, but the huge Buddhist Temple was...which was of interest to me. We also had one stop at some overpriced tourist crafts place, but it was a toilet stop and the restrooms were immaculate. So, it's good we stopped. That was only about a 20-minute stop...which was nice to stretch one's legs. The day tour also went to the bridge over the River Kwai where we had some delicious food at the restaurant near there and the tour also went the POW camp place and the military cemetary. Plus, at the River Kwai restaurant, they made special vegetarian food for me.They were very nice. This was all included in the $39. tour price. I'm glad I took the day tour as I didn't have time to try to figure this all out on my own as far as taking public transportation to get to all of those places. I couldn't have reached them all in one day anyhow. Plus, it's nice to meet other travelers from time to time since I travel alone. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM

not sure of any elephants around floating market, but ratt will know....she took us to some elephants but they were far away from DS...
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:02 AM

do you know elephant riding is very uncomfortable....15-30 minutes is sufficient for most people....are you going to XM?? there are many places around there
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

i never ride an elephant before. so,i do not know it will be unconfortable. However, elephant riding seem to be very interesting and fun for me. Ride on such a big animal will be an amazing experince.