Warm welcome in Java

Search

Warm welcome in Java

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm welcome in Java

Recently I had an opportunity to visit Java with an European friend who had lived there until she was 13 years old. So against the travelers advisory for US citizens I went. We were based in Yogyakarta which is the cultural and art center of Java as we were especially interested in the traditional dance which portrays the Ramanaya and attended four performances. Additionally we visited the Buddist and Hindu archelogical zones which are in an excellent state of restoration and spent one night at a tea plantation in the mountains. Everywhere we went we were made to feel very welcome. When asked where I was from I always answered Los Angeles as I wanted the people we met to know that our country holds no hostility to these people. I found it amusing that when I said this the people knew that Arnold Schwartzeneger was our govenor and wanted to talk about the lakers. We were such a rarity in those parts that people wanted to have their picture taken with these "visitors". I have never taken a trip where costs were so reasonable due to the weakness of the rupiah against the dollar. We had a two bedroom furnished apartment with kitchen and a view of the volcano, a pool and workout room for $36.00 a day. But the whole trip was wonderfully orchestrated by our transprotation co. which was Katong Happy Transport, <[email protected]> Katong, the owner, had new, clean vehicles, prompt courteous drivers and was very attentive to our needs, including groceries, tickets to performances, etc. It was his help which made the trip pass so smoothly. Just wanted to encourage people not to be put off by what happened in Bali which is quite a distance away. One bumper sticker I saw said, "Tourists yes, Terrorists, no" I think this expresses the general attitude we found.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Yoga is one of my favorite places in Asia, so lush and beautiful with the volacno in the background, and Borbadour and Prambanan are incredible to see. I am glad you enjoyed your trip so much, that part of Indonesia is basically not considered by most people on this site, which is a shame.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Thank you for your report. I, too, loved Yogyakarta and am planning to return to Indonesia this year.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:44 AM

I love Jogja too, not because I am Indonesian but the culture, the art, the nice hotels and food.....
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:52 AM

We already had our plane tickets to go to Bali and on to Java the month after 9/11. After much pondering we decided to go ahead and go. When it was time for us to leave to fly to Java, I was very worried about our reception there. Much to our delight the staff and the guests went out of their way to be friendly and tell us we were very welcome to their country.
We had a wonderful experience and loved Yogyakarta.