VPN Suggestions / reviews

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to China often, and have regularly used a free vpn app to get through to google and everything I need. But it's looking like there will be some changes in my employment so that I'll be back much more often. Because of this I was wondering if its worth it to invest in a paid vpn? I've heard of expressvpn and zenmate, but is there a difference between them? And which works best in Asia?
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 05:00 PM

I use Witopia, which is often cited as the best VPN to use in China. I've used Witopia all over the world and have never had problems with it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 06:32 PM

I use Netshade all over the world but never in China. It works fine on IPad, iPhone and Mac not sure about other platforms. Very pleased with it and great customer service.
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:17 PM

I've found Witopia effective in China over a long period, although I haven't used it there very recently. It was one of the few keeping up with changes in Chinese blocking methods, and its VPN for phone use, included in the price, was also effective. Free VPNs tend to have very short effective lifespans in China.

However, the government has announced an imminent complete block on VPNs. I lack the technical expertise to say whether such a thing is achievable, but note the ability of some websites to deny access to anyone using a VPN, so perhaps it is. Access to sites blocked in China may not be guaranteed.