visa for angkor wat

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
visa for angkor wat

Hey...

I have from the 7th to the 17th of June in thailand.
I'm planning BKK, Samui, Phi Phi/Phuket. Now I'm considering BKK ( 4 days ), Angkor Wat( 3 days ), and then either Samui OR Phi Phi/Phuket ( 3 days ). Is this reasonable?
What is involved in going from BKK to AW? What are the difficulties in getting a visa? Do I need 3 days
( one being a travel to day ) For AW?

Lloyd
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

I just did some looking...
Is it true that I can get my Thailand Visa when I land?
My fiancee is taking a Thai massage class, does she still count as a touriat or does she fall under the education category ( or is that category for teachers and not students )?
Is it true that US passport holders can get a Cambodia visa at the Thai Cambodia border?

Lloyd
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM

If you are a US passport holder, you will get 30 days stay stamped in upon arrival in Bangkok. You can buy a Cambodian visa upon arrival at the land border to Cambodia or at the airport in Siem Reap if you fly in. You need a passport photo and US$25 (or is it 20?) for your visa. A three day pass at Angkor is US$40. To see all the major temples, you need three full days. Remember that Angkor is dozens of temples. In three full days you won't see even half of them. Do a little research to see if you are interested in Angkor. You can look at our photos at www.marlandc.com
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM

for stays of less than 30 days no visa is needed for entry into thailand....

you can get your visa for cambodia when you land in siem reap....the airline to use is bangkok air....you will each need 2 pictures for the visa...at least i think it is two....and you will need 2 pictures each for the entry into the park where all of the wats are....you can have those done at home or in bangkok...passport type photos...

3 days is the minimum i would go to angkor for...one good thing to do is to leave on the last flight at nite (about 7PM) so you can have a whole day there and not have to stay over...

flights are often booked up way in advance...

hotel prices are inflated in siem reap as well....there are many places to choose from...many are new hotels...

quite honestly i would do angkor and bangkok only....skip the beach part... with only 10 days you would be spreading yourself quite thin....don't forget that for at least day one in bkk you will have quite a bit of jet lague....its a very long flight and tiring...

pick a bkk hotel with a nice pool....i suggest the marriott resort and spa if it is in your budget...about $105 in june....

try this site: www.huahin.20m.com

oh you have a problem right with the mac?? use the sawadee site then---same price...
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM

at angkor you will want a driver at least and i also suggest that you have a guide also....they are about $20 each per day and will make the difference in your having an ok visit or an excellent visit...

if you are not a temple person, i would suggest that you think about skipping siem reap...essentially that is all that is there....if is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but it is all temples and more temples...
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

A rough itinerary would be
June 5 depart SFO
6th arrive BKK @ 23:00
7th recovery & recon
8th tour
9th Tong
10th Daytrip
11th->siem reap
12th - 14th @ Angkor Wat
14th @ 7 PM depart to BKK
@ 9 PM depart to Samui
15th Samui ( kayaking in caves, snorkling )
16th Samui
17th 09:00 depart to BKK ( meet Tina's classmate and show her a little of BKK )
18th get Tina & her friend to CM for her massage course
19th 06:00 depart for SFO

What do you think Bob? ( JamesA, Kathie...others... )

Lloyd
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM

I think it's a busy schedule. It is so-able, but there won't be much time for relaxation! One change I'd make is that you've scheduled a daytrip on the 10th. I leave that as a day to enjoy Bangkok rather than going outside of Bangkok. You can shop, spa, relax, etc., as well as taking in a few site that you haven't seen on other days. And what are you doing on you day you say "tour" in Bangkok? (I hope not some organized tour - unnecessary in Bangkok!)
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM

i agree with kathie 100%...bkk is fabulous and you will want to soak lots of it up, especially the restaurants as that is your business i believe....did i offer you my restaurant listing?? [email protected]

i think the 2 hours between planes in bkk going to samui is risky...have a back up plan...you will have to change terminals i think....how about an overnite near the airport and the first flight in the AM to samui??
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Do you guys have some kind of psychic link to my GF or something? She's suggesting cutting the last day in BKK and leaving the evening of the 10th for SR thus giving us an extra day in Samui. By "tour" I mean traveling on our own to the palace, emerald buddha , etc.
A revised itinerary would be:

June 5 depart SFO
7th recovery & recon
8th tour ( self guided )
9th Tong
10th Daytrip ( or relaxation/sightsee ( Kathie ) )
-> evening depart to SR
11th- 13th AW
13th @ 6 PM depart to BKK
@ 9 PM depart to Samui
14th - 16th Samui ( kayaking in caves, snorkling )
19th 06:00 depart for SFO
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Now get this...

Tina says that she's giving me a pass to see a "lady"
that last night on the 18th while she goes to CM and I'm waiting for my 6 AM flight out !!! Can you belive it?...
Egads...
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM

You need to make a change to your flight from Siem Reap as there is no 6pm flight. There is a 7.40pm one but that is too late to make the 9pm samui one. Suggest you take the 1.10pm flight and then you will have a choice of either the 3.20 or 4.00pm one to Samui.

You might also consider getting the Bangkok Air pass as you will be using this airline for the Siem Reap and Samui flights. The normal cost would be around $463us for one but with the pass it comes out to $373 (2 international & 2 domestic coupons)
Thrir site is http://www.bangkokair.com/
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Scotters. The discovery pass is a great idea.
I just looked at the flight schedule again. It kind of sucks losing that day in AW but I don't want to cut Samui short. I guess two full days of temples should be enough though.

Lloyd
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

A NEW rough itinerary would be
June 5 depart SFO
7th recovery & recon
8th tour ( self guided )
9th Tong
10th Daytrip
@ 19:00 depart to Siem Reap
11th - 13th @ Angkor Wat
14th @ 11:00 depart to BKK
@ 13:20 depart to Samui
16th Samui
19th 06:00 depart for SF
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Oops...

Does anyone think that 2 full days in Angkor Wat is enough?

June 5 depart SFO
7th recovery & recon
8th tour ( self guided )
9th Tong
10th & 11th Daytrip ( or relaxing and floating market )
11th @ 19:00 depart to Siem Reap
12th - 13th @ Angkor Wat
16th Samui
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Hi was just visiting the Temples of Angkor last week..We had 2 full days and 1/2 day..One day we visited Angor Thom in the morning...took a break and then visited Angkor Wat in the afternoon til sunset..The next day we took a tour out to Kompong Khleang and i highly recommend this..When we got back we then went to another temple..Ta Prohm..i think..i hope i am correct..Anyhow, our flight out was very early the next day..Could have used 1 more day but was happy we got to see as much as we did..

We met people that were there for 8 days..But it can be done in 2..Unless you want to see every temple that that there is..I might add that the first night we took a rickshaw to Siem Reap town and walked around the market and had dinner, and went to a bar which was also alot of fun..
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Lloyd, how much time you need at Angkor depends on your level of interest. I spent a week and didn't see all of the accessible temples - there are dozens. As I mentioned earlier, three full days is the amount of time it takes to see all of the major temples. Do your research ahead of time to decide whether you feel you can see enough in two days, or whether you would be better off to save Angkor for another trip.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM

lloyd...you are wearing me out...

for your departure for SR, i think you mean 1520, not 13:20...you mean 3:30PM??...allow plenty of time or a back up time...

two itin.'s ago i thought the 1900 dep on the 10th would be tight with an all day outside bkk tour with tong....

you should be at the airport that day by about 1700 (5:00) and that would mean maybe you should leave for the airport about 3:30 to 3:45....so that cuts your day short, but you could do the floating market easily, if you leave bkk early say about 6:45AM and could plan to be back to bkk by 2PM, and could even have tong drop you off at the airport, if you took all your bags with you....some bags could be left at your bkk hotel if you were returning there...oh no, you are going to samui directly....sorry...

the last proposal does not look to bad...

i will speak directly with your GF about the precautions she must arrange for you prior to your trist with a lovely bkk lady....oh, by the way make sure it is a true woman....hahaha....its bkk after all....
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:37 PM

lloyd...with this shortened time in SR, you must arrange for a guide and driver or you will not see much...

getting to the airport in SR only means 30 min max. btw...
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about being so high maintenance Bob...

Bankok Air shows a 13:20 departure to Samui from Bangkok and looks like the first possible connection
from SR. I've pretty much decided to cut one day from BKK for AW...
And I think a guide is a good idea for at least 2 of the days there.
Any ideas on a $40 - $60 a night hotel in SR?
Oh yeah.... I don't do the hooker thing... crabs and other nasties don't care if you use a condom...

June 5 depart SFO
7th recovery & recon
8th tour ( self guided )
9th Tong ( to see what we wouldn't otherwise )
10th relaxing and floating market
10th @ 19:00 depart to Siem Reap
11th - 13th @ Angkor Wat
16th Samui

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM

This looks better. You've packed a lot into a little time. Make sure to take a little time to relax!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information