Vietnam+Laos+Cambodia

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vietnam+Laos+Cambodia

My wife and me want to prepare a trip combining Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia for late 2005. In Vietnam we definitely want the area of Hanoi in the programme. In Cambodia of course PP and Angkor, in Laos of course LP and maybe also Vientiane. It could be something like this: LP-Vientiane-Hanoi-HCMC-via the Mekong to PP and winding up in Angkor.
I suppose Hue is very nice but climatewise difficult to combine with the right visiting season in the other places mentioned (Nov? Dec? Jan? or also months before Nov and after Jan?)
We do not want to travel in a group, but want to work out a programme in dialogue with a travel agent. Here are my questions.
- When is the right period to do the trip, given climate conditions? Climates, particularly in VN, seem to be rather different from area to area.
- Do we have Fodorites who have in the past successfully used particular travel agents for a trip like this?
- And to contrary, are there any bad experiences with particular agencies I should know of?
- Any general advice in view of working out an itinerary?
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 05:23 AM

..can only help re Laos and only re travel agent. I have been working with a large Bangkok based agency (Diethelm Travel) which has an office in Laos. Ms. Bousan is the agent I have been "talking to" over the internet. She has been incredibly efficient in organizing our tour (2 people). She has been able to suggest an itinerary after we gave her a wish list. She has been again very helpful with visa details ect. You might want to look at Diethelm on their web site. I am off on Feb5th and I will let you know how things turned out but so far have been most impressed. Our local travel agency has said that Diethelm is one of their "recommended" agents when they book tours which made us a little more comfortable.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 05:27 AM

My comments - IMO u could drop both Vientiane and Pnomh Penh and do Siem Reap, LP and cover more ground in Vietnam. I found Vientiane ok, not unmissable. Siem Reap is hot whenever you go but worst months are probably April-Sept. I would end with LP as Siem Reap is always hectic and you should give yourself some down time before you return. I would say consider planning your trip yourself with help from earlier posts.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 05:27 AM

..misspelled her name..Ms. Bounsou
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your reactions so far.
Hobbes, what would you do extra then in VM?
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM

I don't know how much time you have, but like hobbes, I'd recommend skipping Vientiane and PP. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time in LP and Siem Reap. The Hanoi area has lots to do and see. It is difficult to combine with Hue. I'd say go in Nove/Dec/Jan, and skip Hue. Save it for another trip (I have to admit that's what we did).
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:00 AM

I agree with Kathie-skip Vietiane and PP. Hue is hard to combine also, although I have been to each place mentioned. I have taken my trips in Jan. or Feb.
I know someone in the US who plans individual tours having your own guide and driver. They will work out any itinerary suitable to you and also make suggestions. I have taken 2 trips this way with their help in planning. The last one I felt confident enough to go on my own. If you are interested email me at
[email protected]
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Kathie, I have something like 18 days available, give or take one. Makes your advice on skipping PP and Vientiane all the more relevant, I suppose.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 12:30 PM

Eighteen days - I'm going to assume that means 18 actual days on the ground in SE Asia. I'm a traveler who likes to stay a while in each place to really get the feel for it, so here's what I'd recommend:

5 days in Siem Reap
5 days in Luang Prabang
5 days in Hanoi area
3 days in HCMC

It's easy to arrange this on your own, you don't really need a travel agent or a guide. All you need is hotel reservations in each city and flights between them. You can arrange for any local transport (or a guide at Angkor) once you get there.

You can look at photos of Angkor, LP and Hanoi at www.marlandc.com
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:04 AM

OK, my two bits is a bit different from Kathie's. 4 days Siem Reap, 3 days LP, 4 days Hanoi, 3 days HCMC. In addition I would take the Victoria Express train (I love luxury train rides) www.victoriahotels-asia.com, spend a night at the Victoria Sapa then head back. From Hanoi do an overnight trip to Halong Bay. You could also consider some down time at one of their undeveloped beaches - Quy Nhon (www.life-resorts.com) or Phu Quoc (www.vngold.com/pq/mango) or Anoasis Long Hui Beach Resort on Vung Tan or if you feel like a splruge Ana Mandara or the Evason on Nha Trang.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Hobbes,
Thks for the ideas. Is Sapa a good place to go to in Nov or Dec? Not too rainy and miserable? Furthermore, I went on this Victoria site. Saw something attractive about their boats going all the way from HCMC or from the delta to PP and on to Angkor? Did I understand that right, and does anyone know something more about that?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:34 AM

I'm not great with weather - www.weatherbase.com may be a good plave to check. I went to the site but could not see the details of the boat ride you mentioned...
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Hobbes,
I was referring to the Victoria Boats mentioned on the site. These seem to go all the way from HCMC to PP.