Vietnam itinerary-comments please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Vietnam the end of Feb to the middle of March. We are both retired, so time is not a concern, but having a well paced trip is. How does the following itinerary sound in terms of pacing. and choice of towns to visit. I've not been to Vietnam so I would appreciate your input. Is this too much too fast, and if so how would you correct it? Would you leave anything out or include anything I missed. We would do all of the transfers and much of the sightseeing with a private car and driver.
Day1-arrive Saigon late
Day2-Cu Chi Tunnel and city tour
Day3-Mekong Delta cruise-overnight Can Tho
Day4-Mekong Delta cruise-return to Saigon
Day 5-Fly to Dalat-afternoon sightseeing
Day6-Drive to Nha Trang(3hours)-afternoon sightseeing
Day7-Fly to Danang-visit Cham Museum,afternoon sightseeing in Hoi An
Day8-Visit My Son -overnight Hoi An
Day9-transfer to Hue-visit citadel and Emperor's tombs-(Is this too much to do in one day)
Day10-Fly to Hanoi, (or should we spend another day in Hue?)and drive to Nimb Binh
Day 11-Nimb Binh sightseeing-drive to Mai Chau
Day 12-Mai Chau walk -return to Hanoi
Day13-Hanoi-sightseeing
Day14-Transfer to Halong Bay junk and overnight on boat
Day 15-Return to Hanoi and take train to Sapa-overnight on train
Day 16-Market Day
Day17-Sapa hike-return to train station-overnight on the train. Return to Hanoi at 5am
Day18-Hanoi
Day 19-Fly home at night
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM

It appears that you are not city people as you have not much time in Hanoi and almost none in HCMC. While I've only been to northern Vietnam (including 5 full days in Hanoi, 3 full days in Sapa and a 2 day/1 night trip to Halong Bay), I think you are trying to do a bit too much in the time allotted. Others will chime in, I'm sure.

One comment regarding Day 15: you will return to Hanoi at 3 PM but the train won't leave until 9 PM, so you'll need to figure out how you'll handle that as far as dealing with your luggage and packing for both trips. Perhaps you could get your Hanoi hotel for a 1/2 day or rearrange you itinerary?

Also, I know that you've covered this on another thread, but the weather could be iffy at the time you going - Halong Bay and Sapa could be disappointing...
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM

IMO it is too much too fast. It sounds like you are on the move almost every day. That gives you no "down time" to wander, absorb, just enjoy where you are. It also doesn't allow for the inevitable glitches that will occur in VN.

I don't know what to cut, since I don't know what your priorities are. In general, I'd take the approach of cutting out one whole area - so I'd choose North and central VN or Central and South.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Way too much. Cut out a few stops and stay a few more days in specific locations. Your schedule essentially has you traveling everyday.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Somehow I suspected that would be the reaction. I was actually having second thoughts as I was typing the itinerary for your comments. I really respect your opinions so I guess it is back to the drawing boards. At this point, I am leaning toward eliminatind the day in Dalat and the day in Nha Trang. As to the weather in Hanoi, Sapa, Halong and Mai Chau, do you think it would make much difference if we hit that area 2 weeks later, say mid March. I want to be home by the end of March because we are going to Peru in May and I'd like some home time between trips. Taking good weather into consideration, which is sort of a priority for my trips (I know there are no guarantees)do you think that seeing all of Vietnam in one trip is not doable. Plane tickets are not purchased yet, so we can change our destination. But one thing is certain, I need to get out of the cold New England weather for a couple of weeks this winter.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 01:45 PM

shelly, i tend to agree with the others....can you stretch the trip just a bit, maybe go a bit earlier??

you need a bit more time in hanoi....also i would not leave saigon so fast....and i definately would not go to the tunnels the day after i arrived....i would have at least one down day upon arrival---an adjustment day if you will... in fact i think i would want two days....
what about taking a day train to sapa?? is there one??

now that i re-look at what you have written i would add one day to any place that you think will be remotely interesting, for instance on days 6-10..
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob, There is no day train to Sapa. Only the overnight train which I am sure won't be great for sleeping. I will have to give this whole Vietnam trip a more careful look when I get back from South Africa, We are leaving in a few days. Have a great GTG and a safe journey to South Africa. Maybe we can get together to compare our trips when we both return.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

BTW, how many days would you recommend in Hanoi and Saigon. I actually do like cities and could spend more time in each, but what is a good amount of time. I like walking and sightseeing, but neither seemed to be great walking cities because of the traffic.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Shelley, cutting a one day stop here and a one day stop there isn't enough to make this a humane itinerary. Cut half - at least!

I'd say to consider VN two separate trips.

We really enjoed Hanoi, spent a week there. Yes, traffic is incredible, but we still walked a lot.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
shelleyk,
Do we have a similar travel bug? I just answered you on my Peru trip report and now I see you're going to Viet Nam also next year! I'm just planning my itinerary in SE Asia also, but we're going in April, just after you. Wow, Viet Nam and Peru in one year....way to go!
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

I guess we do. How is your planning going for you southeast Asia trip? Obviously, mine has come to a screeeching halt. My planning will have to be left until I return from South Africa. At least the Peru trip is more or less set. Thanks for your reply on that thread.,
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm waiting until I have more time to get into it. For Viet Nam, we are going to Hanoi for 3 nights, Halong Bay for 1 night, I'm still debating on Sapa for 2 nights, plus the overnight train each way, then Hoi-Ann for 3 nights, and Saigon for 3 nights.

We went to Africa last year (Kenya & Tanzania)...would love to see South Africa though. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:26 AM

i have not been to saigon but my past research says about 3 days for the city area itself...

hanoi could take up several days without leaving the city...maybe 3-4...

yes, lets see if we can connect one day in december....we go to thailand right after our return from SA...