COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Vietnam itinerary

Old Jan 24th, 2020, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Vietnam itinerary

I was wondering if this itinerary looks too rushed? Or which one is better? One excludes Hoi An, which I've read is a must but I'm just not sure if we have time. I don't wanna feel too rushed but I dont wanna spend too much time in one spot either (or don't know what too much time is) help please (going the first of April)

Option 1.

Day 1 Land in Hanoi 5am -explore old Quarter - 3N
Day 2. Hanoi
Day 3. Hanoi
Day 4. Transfer 7am to Ha Long bay 2N cruise
Day 5. Cruise HLB
Day 6. Transfer to Ninh Binh 2N
Day 7. Ninh Binh
Day 7. Transfer back to Hanoi
Day 8. Explore Hanoi until 3 am flight
Day 9. Not staying the night due to 3am flight back home.

option 2.

Day 1 Land in Hanoi 6am then fly straight to Da Nang and then transfer to Hoi An for 2N
Day 2. Explore Hoi An
Day 3. 9am flight back to Hanoi 1N
Day 4. Transfer 7am to Ha Long bay 2N cruise
Day 5. Cruise HLB
Day 6. Transfer to Ninh Binh 2N
Day 7. Ninh Binh
Day 7. Transfer back to Hanoi
Day 8. Explore Hanoi until 3 am flight
Day 9. Not staying the night due to 3am flight back home
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 10:27 PM

I think option one is as good an itinerary for the time you have. You have a reasonable amount of time in Hanoi to explore and enjoy the city. In three full days you can see quite a lot and, if you like walking, many sites can be enjoyed on foot. I find the best way is to download google maps to your phone and save the places you want to see and note which ones are close together to maximise your time. When walking gets too much, taxi are cheap and efficient.

You do have a very early arrival presumably from the US or Europe - if so, many smaller Vietnamese hotels will allow you to check in even at that time. Alternative head straight out to Hoan Kiem lake and joint the rest of the city practising Tai Chi around the lake. A fantastic way to start the day!

Ir makes sense to visit NInh Binh on the way to Hanoi but as your home flight is not until 03.00 I do wonder whether you could move the trip along a day, spend an extra night in Hanoi at the beginning and leave for the airport from Ninh Binh. This would remove the need for one change of hotel and a private transfer shouldnt be too expensive. If up for a bit of local travel. There are some afternoon trains into Hanoi from Ninh Binh which would be fun and you could then maybe have dinner around the station before getting a taxi from the train station to the airport.

Option 2 does seem rushed with a lot of moving about and a number of short stays. A combination that bit wastes time getting from a to b and can be quite draining. It largely depends on what you want to see though. Hoi An is certainly pretty and quaint and there are some wonderful places in the surrounding countryside, but I find the old town very busy with tour groups these days.