Search

Vietnam/Cambodia Itinerary Critique

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vietnam/Cambodia Itinerary Critique

Hello.
We are 2 couples in our 30s going to Vietnam and Cambodia for the first time. Below is an itinerary that was developed after reading travel forums. Reasons for these choices are to see some main/tourist sites, experience some large cities and enjoy quiet beaches...all while minimizing travel time (hence the flights). We arrive/depart HCMC in Nov/Dec of this year. Any advice on possible problems or missed opportunities would be greatly appreciated. Thoughts from persons experienced with these countries would be excellent as well. Thank you.

Day 1 (Fri) - arrive at night in HCMC
Day 2 (Sat) - explore HCMC
Day 3 (Sun) - bus to Siem Reap
Day 4 (Mon) - explore Siem Reap
Day 5 (Tues) - explore Siem Reap
Day 6 (Weds) - fly to Ha Noi
Day 7 (Thurs) - explore Ha Noi
Day 8 (Fri) - bus to Ha Long Bay, do overnight boat cruise
Day 9 (Sat) - bus back to Ha Noi, explore more
Day 10 (Sun) - fly to Phu Quoc
Day 11 (Mon) - explore Phu Quoc
Day 12 (Tues) - explore Phu Quoc
Day 13 (Weds) - explore Phu Quoc
Day 14 (Thurs) - Ferry/bus to HCMC, explore more
Day 15 (Fri) - fly home
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 07:02 AM

The problem is that the only places you have "enough" time are Phu Quoc and Halong Bay.

You have one day in HCMC
You have two days in Siem Reap
You have one day in Hanoi
You have three pays in Phu Quoc

Don't count travel days, as anything you manage to do/see/experience on those days is a bonus, but you can't count on much time.

This would be a better (more enjoyable, less stressful) trip if you eliminated Halong Bay - you are spending most of two full days on the road - a very boring road - for an overnight on a junk. This would give you enough time to explore Hanoi. Three full days in Hanoi would be a good amount of time and you could add a day to Siem Reap if you cut Halong Bay. Three full days is how long it takes to see just the major temples there. Get a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A Guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples to prepare. You might also consider flying from HCMC to Siem Reap, sparing you a full day bus ride.

Travel in SE Asia is best done at a slow pace. This is not Europe. If you move too fast, you miss the experience. Fewer stops with more time at each place makes for a better, more satisfying trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 07:40 AM

You can certainly do Angkor in two days, but we agree with Kathie that three days will give you a good amount time to see the most important temples and get the full experience of the place.
What time does your plane get into Hanoi? You might be able to fly out early and use the balance of the day in Hanoi to see more of the city.
No matter what you choose though, you will have a great trip!
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies and the "slow down" while traveling suggestion. We haven't purchased the flights within the countries yet, but will soon since options are limited.

I'm surprised at the suggestion to skip Halong Bay. I'm not opposed to it but I thought most people found it worth the hassle. Would the extra time be better spent in Hanoi? Perhaps in Dec the Bay wouldn't be as enjoyable? Advice on that city and Halong Bay would be appreciated.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Hanoi is a fascinating city with lots to see and do. You certainly need more time there to have any experience of the city. Right now you have one full day in Hanoi and hopefully some extra hours on travel days. That's it. People's reactions to Halong Bay are mixed, if you read a bunch of reports here. People are less likely to find it worthwhile in Dec/Jan, it's true, as it will likely be misty/rainy and cool/cold. But many people complain about how crowded it is... hundreds of junks on the bay... it is not a communing with nature experience some people expect. We enjoyed Hanoi and spent a full week there with a day trip outside the city.

Only you can decide what you want to do. Our role is to tell you what we know about places and let you make a decision that is best for you.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We enjoyed our overnight in Halong Bay in February. As Kathie said the weather was not great. It was overcast/misty the first day and cleared up a touch the next day, but I actually felt it made the scenery rather ethereal. We went on tHe Dragon Pearl III that went to a bay with less junks there so not crowded at all. That said, Hanoi is a fascinating city and I would want more time than a day. We spent 5 days In Hanoi and then an evening on our return from Halong Bay.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 06:32 PM

I too would opt to spend the time in Hanoi rather than wasting your limited time in traveling to and from Hali g bay.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Excellent info, exactly what I was looking to find out. I've read the mixed reviews on Halong Bay but I hadn't noticed all the love for Hanoi. I will continue to research that city, and as of now, I'm leaning towards skipping the Bay (and hours on buses) and staying in the city. Thanks all, and I'd love to hear from anyone else with experiences in Hanoi vs Halong Bay. Cheers.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 11:15 PM

Just returned from Vietnam. I did a "Food on Foot" tour in Hanoi with Awesome Vietnam Travel. I'd highly recommend it. It was something different. I enjoyed it. Check out tripadvisor.