Vietnam and Cambodia

Search

Vietnam and Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vietnam and Cambodia

What is the best time of year to visit and how many days do you recommend. We have never been to this area and are excited to explore a different region of the world. Are there certain places that should not be missed?
Thank you,
Kitty
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Oh dear! Where to start! I travel in July which is not the best time of the year but its fine. How many days. More! IMO a lot of people try and rush and miss a lot. Asia is slow. Depending on where you come from, you may find the heat oppressive. If traveling from the US you may experience jetlag.

While there are not to be missed places, (Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay, Mekong Delta) it really depends on your interests. I love Cambodia and am gradually finding my way into the non touristy areas but for a first visit probably Phnom Penh and Siem Reap would be enough.

What are you particularly interested in: Exotic (and yummy) food, ancient and modern history, stunning scenery, culture, trekking and incredible temples. Its all there. (Sorry - I'm beginning to sound like a travel agent!)

Initially do a search and read some trip reports at Fodors and other travel sites. Also I'd buy travel guides to both countries and see what takes your fancy. I like the Lonely Planet ones but opinions differ. Visit a large bookshop and have a browse first.

I'm sorry this has probably not answered any of your questions satisfactorily but I'd suggest do a bit of research and then come back with specific questions.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:30 AM

I have never been to Vietnam, but, have visited Siem Reap
(Angkor Wat) four times in past 12 months.
March 2010, July 2010, August 2010, January 2011.

I would not recommend a vist again between January and March. Too dry and dusty. The country side is all brown and unattractive.

July to September is the rainy season, but, in July and August, it really only rains around 4:00Pm or so.. Then, its only for an hour or so. Nice and green.

Hopefully, I will get back there in September, 2011.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:47 AM

Hi, Well the places your are going to travel are one of the most beautiful holiday destinations and the best time to visit these places are September to December or March to April and as far as trip duration, even 25 days are less to see the complete beauty of these mesmerizing places, but yeah the few must to see places during your trip are Sapa, Temples of Angkor etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 04:37 AM

As gearsau says March - April are probably the worst months to visit Siem Reap. However my daughter has been complaining about it being 'cold' there recently. (Go figure) 22 degrees centigrade in the mornings. My wife spent two weeks in Vietnam and felt she was only scratching the surface and would have liked to spend longer there.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM

<<<However my daughter has been complaining about it being 'cold' there recently. (Go figure) 22 degrees centigrade in the mornings.>>>

Actually, it's true. Siem Reap was much cooler than we expected it to be (end of March 2011). We were thinking we'd encounter temps like Luxor in the summer of '08, maybe high 90s to 105 degrees F (Luxor actually went to 110 &deg; ), but it actually never got above 90, which was quite pleasant (given the alternative ) Someone we met in Hong Kong told us there was a "cold front" making it colder everywhere in the area -- that he'd been on the Great Wall and had "near frozen to death".
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 05:21 AM

I can't tell you when is the best time to visit, but I can say that we spent three weeks touring Thailand and visiting Angkor Wat and vicinity during Jan. and early Feb. and the weather was fantastic. 80-90 degree temps and no rain. The only problem was the burning off of the fields in some parts of the country starting in late Jan. which adds to the air polllution.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:06 AM

We were in both Cambodia and Vietnam this year in February.
It was hot in Siem Reap, but not unbearable, and yes dusty, but that didn't bother us. North/Central Vietnam (we went only to Hanoi, Hue, and Hoi An) were cool to warm. We had some ooolish gray days in Hue and Hanoi and perfect warm weather (we went to the beach) in Hoi An.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 11:12 PM

Visits in Vietnam: Hanoi - Ha Long Bay - Sapa - Hue - Hoi An - Nha Trang/Mui Ne/Phu Quoc are all nice for beach break - HCMC - Mekong Delta.

I've been to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Battambang and love Siem Reap most. Battambang is a quiet old French town.
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:42 PM

Hi,

The best time to visit Vietnam & Cambodia is from November to March.
With 3 weeks you can visit the highlights of Vietnam&Cambodia.
The places you should not miss:
Hanoi-Sapa- Halong Bay - Hue - Hoi An - Hochiminh - Phu Quoc - Mekong delta -cross the border at Chau doc -Phnompenh - Siem Reap.
You can take this to be the order of the visits of the trip.

Have fun!
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:47 PM

Discoveryindochina

Sorry , but , I have to disagree with you regarding Cambodia in your statement November to March is best time.

I have been in Siem Reap in January 2011, and March 2010. Far too dry, dusty and smokey then.

I have been in Siem Reap in July and August,2010, and while it does rain in the afternoon for maybe an hour, the fact that the country is green and clean, more than makes up for the afternoon thunderstorms.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Hi guys
The climate of Cambodia location is also close to equator, so the country is dominated by two monsoons, which set the rhythm of rural life. The cool, dry, north-eastern monsoon, which carries little rain last from about November to February. From May to October in the south-western monsoon brings strong winds, high humidity and heavy rains. Even during the wet season it rarely rains in the morning: most precipitation comes in the afternoon, and even then only sporadically.

major attraction is Angkor temples in Seam Reap and Phnom Penh, let base on the weather information above to setup your travel plan to Cambodia.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM

Vietnam has a tropical monsoon climate, dominated by the south or southwesterly monsoon from May to September and the northeast monsoon from October to April. The southern summer monsoon brings rain to the two deltas and west-facing slopes, while the cold winter monsoon picks up moisture over the Gulf of Tonkin and dumps it along the central coast and the eastern edge of the central highlands. Within this basic pattern there are marked differences according to altitude and latitude; temperatures in the south remain equable all year round, while the north experiences distinct seasonal variations.The best time for visiting Vietnam is autumn (Sept–Dec) and spring (March and April) are probably the most favourable seasons if you’re covering the whole country.
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:25 AM

If you are beach lover, this time, summer is absolutely suitable for you. However, the best time for traveling to Vietnam is autumn and spring (October to March), coz' it's cool and easy at that time. I've visited quite a lot destinations in Vietnam so i can suggest some must-see places for you: Sapa, Halong bay, Hanoi, Hoi An, Hue, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Phu quoc, Ho Chi Minh, Mui Ne, Lang Co. Just take time, if you can not see them all this time, let's come back for another time.