Similans Live-Aboard Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a very nice trip to the Similans for four days of diving. Although the trip out from Phuket was pretty bad - everybody including the dive masters were looking quite green in the morning - we had great weather for the rest of the trip, which considering the season doesn't officially open for another two weeks was quite fortunate.

The boat was the Colona VI, which had been refitted just before last season. Cabins were a bit cramped, as you might expect, but they were air conditioned and functional. The crew on this boat was amazing. Everyone commented on it. The second mate, who ran the dive deck, was incredible. He was always there to zip you up, help you on with your fins, and when you stepped onto the platform, if you didn't already have your regulator in your hand, he would hand it to you. The chef was also very good. Most meals were Thai, which was a bit dumbed down for my taste, but otherwise it was delicious. The captain was also very capable, safe yet not afraid to do any work.

We did all the major spots in the Similans, from Anita's Reef up to Three Trees, then on to Koh Bon and Koh Tachai. We had hoped to get to Richlieu Rock, but we didn't have that much luck with the weather, and the rock is not a place to be if conditions aren't perfect. So, we retraced our path and re-did a few other sites before heading back to Phuket.

I'd highly recommend the Colona VI to anyone thinking of diving the Similans. If you want something a bit more posh, have a look at the Giamani, operated by the same company.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM

michael....what is the cost of such a trip in thailand? thanks

bob
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

The cost varies according to the boat - as with all things, you get what you pay for. The price for the Colona VI was 28,500 which includes transfers, food and air tanks. You pay on board for park fees, nitrox, drinks and any equipment rental.

I noted on the web site (http://www.diving-thailand-phuket.com) that the Giamani was just a few thousand Baht more than the Colona, which sounds like it could be worth it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 06:24 AM

Bob, I will be your dive buddy any time! I think the sharks would be scared to get too close with you in the water with me!

Michael that price doesn't seem too bad! My dad was a dive instructor for a long time and we always wanted to go on a live aboard!

Im glad you had a good time!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM

so that's about $200 per day....

you could stay at the marriott bkk for that and swim in the pool all day....sounds better to me...

jeffrey you have too much art on your body for me to be seen with, even under water...haha
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

I thought it was a fair deal. You'd spend at least half that for a decent hotel on Phuket, and then there's food. We got three full meals a day included, plus an afternoon snack and all the coffee, tea and juice you could drink.

Then there's the diving. Two very experienced dive masters and four tanks of air every day. If you stayed in Phuket or Khao Lak and only did day trips, you'd easily spend as much as a live-aboard and only get in half the number of dives.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Bob,

Since I don't think you're into diving, you might find this boat more to your taste:

http://www.superyacht-charters.com/y...aman/index.htm

I'll come along as your cook and guide, no charge.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM

Sounds like you was robbed, lol!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM

its ok, but i don't like the color of the marble sinks...

plus where would the king sleep?

this looks like hanuman's old boat