Varanasi/Pushkar

Search

Varanasi/Pushkar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Varanasi/Pushkar

I need help on how many nights to stay in each place. I have 2 nights booked in Varanasi and then 3 nights in a tent for the Pushkar camel fair this year. Would it be better to stay one more night in Varanasi and cut down on Pushkar by one night. It looks as though I will have to overnight in Delhi on the way.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:25 AM

I am totally flabbergasted by the idea that you can "book a tent" in Pushkar.
Just goes to show - all things must pass.

Having said that - and having visited Varanasi twice (for at least 3 days each time) but Pushkar (on a whim) only once. I think I would swap your days over and spend one more in V and one less in P.

But maybe someone will come along who has spent 3 days in a pre-booked tent at the Pushkar Fair and be able to give you better and more up to date info.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Lucy, my personal preference would be to go for the extra day in Varanasi, as there is so much more there of historical and cultural significance. The Pushkar tents are fun and convenient, and are within walking distance of the temple and lake as well as the camel fair activities. As I'm sure you know, they provide comfortable temporary accommodation and are equipped with beds, running water, ensuite toilets, and electricity. Like any other accommodation, they tend to fill up, so I'm not sure why anyone would find it "flabbergasting" that they would be reserved in advance.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Hi There, and Namaste! That sounds like a pretty good plan whihcever way u slice it, three nights at the Pushkar camel festival and two in Varanasi, or visa versa! Either way u can not go wrong, and u are off to two of my very favorite places in India!

Actually, if anyone is going to the Pushkar Camel Festival, staying in tented accomadation near the fairground is the best way to go, hotels are few and far between and sold out way way in advance!!

The Rajasthani Tourist Development Corporation~RTDC, in addition to many private tour operators/ set up various tented accomadation around the fairgrounds, anging from the more basic to the ultra luxurious. There are even royal tents, fit for a Maharaja !

We are not talking run of the mill basic tents. Many of the tents have lux facilites and good décor too, beds, bedspreads, mirror, sitting area, verandah, nice décor, attached toilet/shower, etc, etc..

As the town of Pushkar is very small, the tents accomadate the masses who descend on this town for the great Mela, and the area becomes a huge festival like atmosphere!!

It is busy, noisy, colorful and surely a experience! Some love it, others do not, so if u think u wld like such a riotous and colorful mela of events go for the three in Pushkar.!

Some will think three is good for the fair and Love love it, and others, might think it more than enough and ready to take the first CAMEL out of town....so hard to say!

ANDyes, if u are going to Pushkar, u r surely advised to pre book the tents, as the place surely fills up and there is such a limited amount of hotels in the vicinity **.If anyone needs any help, I know folks who have their own great tented area!!

Pushkar is a wonderful Rajasthani town and it is a very nice place to visit with or without the fair. If u go in the normal times, it is a actually a small relaxing and easy going Holy town MUCH different then during the festival time when it is another story/world altogether. A Indian experience in its full glory and regalia and riotous color!!!

I am not sure of the numbers but I believe it may be close to 200000 plus people who descend on the town, pilgrims, tourists, filmmakers, and let us not forget the 50,000 or so Camels! So it is quite a event with the camel trading,, camel riding,, contests, events, song and dance!

There are musicians, acrobats, folk dancers, traders, comedians, sadhus and tourists reach here during Pushkar fair..

Again..It is hard to say how many days in each place, as everyone Loves different places and destinations! But the good news is you are indeed going to have some incredible experiences all around, with the opportunity to festival both the Camel fair in Pushkar and Varanasi!

Varanasi! One of my faveorite places in India, and one of the most important places to visit on a India trip! Its a city at the heart of India and I always recommend a visit to Benares a must for a trip to understand the country a bit more, and in terms of experinces, no place like it on earth!.

I have written a few posts on the city, so u can do a search. Anyways, going to Varanasi for either two or three nights will be great, and will give u time to visit the Ganges quite a few times..

Many people find two nights perfectly fine for Benares as the city is so fascinating, but also overwhelming.And some folks want to stay much more time! So hard to say, but again, but at least 2 in Varansi!

Over the years leading tours to both places, i have seen the gamut of reactions to both destinations as so much depends on personal prefernces and what U like.

But bottom line, u are lucky to get to both, for sure! Sound like you are off to a great trip!

Take care and anyone off to Pushkar or Varansi, feel free to drop me a line! Happy to help! Namaste.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have replied to my posting - much appreciated. In the end I will be 2 whole days in Varanasi and 2 1/2 in Pushkar.