Upcoming Thailand Trip

Search

Upcoming Thailand Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upcoming Thailand Trip

Five days and counting until we leave for Thailand in a Fodors cloud. In attanedance will be Panda, Mrs Panda, Friend of Panda (Maureen) , Karen and last and least Bob (RhkKmk). We're driving a rental SUV from Cambridge to JFK, with a stop at SRI in Queens for some Thai food. Leaving JFK at 9:00 pm on 11/13/09, flying through Frankfurt and arriving SIN on 11/15/09 at 7:00 am. They switched our SIN-BKK flights (see previous thread), but we arrive BKK at 11:05.

We all had dinner last night in Darkest Needham to practice our people skills. What a disaster! By the end of the trip, no one will be speaking to anyone else. Not a b ad deal for me, but some of the others may be bothered. I note for the record that we are still waiting for our Waldorf Salad.

For some ridiculous reason, I'm really looking forward to this trip. It will be our seventh Thailand trip and we have nothing neew planned. Nonetheless, my anticipation level is very high.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 03:17 AM

To everyone in the Panda Party: Have fun and do not cause too much trouble for your Thai hosts.

Are you planning to leave all your luggage in the car while you eat at Sripraphai?
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 04:28 AM

ekscrunchy...my thoughts exactly....So Mrs panda overserved me in the wine department and I forgot to serve the Waldorf salad. We had a good planning dinner, even thoug we did not have our "grids, aka schedules" in front of us. Anticipation is high.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM

GP - nothing new planned? I bet Bob has secretly plotted all sorts of novel adventures in minute detail...

Anyway, I admit that I am jealous that we have to wait until February to travel to Asia while you will have had two trips in the space of three months. My consolation of course is to bask in the World Series victory of my beloved Yankees until then.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

EKS-good idea. Count on a NYer to have a good handle on security issues.

Craig-bask away. The RS already plotting to overthrow the Evil Empire. The forces of truth and justice will prevail. The Dark Ones will be banished.

Here's an image for those of you that might want to follow along. Bob, Panda, Beth, Karen and Maureen jammed into one of those tiny BKK taxis. Forget the meter, we just hope the driver deploys the pontoons.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM

the flt is on singapore, unbelievable all in fare: $677--- thans to tengombre... he is paying 50%..

we had to tie panda down last nite--- he was out of control--just imagine us in a 747 with that fruitcake for 25 hours or so...

we had lots of laughs last nite and we told them about our africa trip... more pictures are coming tonight as i finally figured out shutterfly after 3 days of trying
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 06:14 AM

The Yanks are coming, The drums rum-tumming. Ev'rywhere. So prepare, say a pray'r, Send the word, send the word to beware!
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Sripraphi's food is very good.

Btw, I've seen guys break into cars and drive them away. In broad daylight! They are so fast that they are gone in a blink of the eye.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Are they really heading to SRI just before they get on that looong flight? For Thai food? Aren't they going to Thaland? Did Bob plan this?

We were actually at SRI last night. It was packed as usual and we left in a shredded green mango (served pet pet), red curry duck and pork and string bean stupor. While we parked right outside, and around the corner, we didn't have a car full of luggage. Alternatively, maybe you can call in an order and have them deliver it to the SIA check in counter at JFK. Somewhere over Amrenia, on the FRA-SIA leg, you can probably sell the take out containers at a huge markup.

You will have a great time. And, bring ear plugs - for lots of reasons.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM

You guys should try the Yum Pra Dook foo @ SRI next time. One of my faves..
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Btw, I was just kidding about the stealing cars part, lol.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Running away with parked cars full of luggage was the bad old days. Just buy a NY Post, leave it on the front seat, and you will fit in. Hopefully a story about the Yankees on the cover. (What is the yum pra dook foo?)

Now, I wonder if Bob and Andy read the small print on that cheapo SIA flight they snagged. One seat for the two of them and hand luggage only. One bag. . . . .
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I promise that my trip report will NOT be a mere continuation of this thread a la RhkKmk. For clarity, a separate thread will ensue. In Needham, they think clarity is a type of wine.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Wish I was going...
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Have a great time!
I'm kicking myself that I didn't take advantage of that great fare offer!!
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Cruisenred-the fare was only available for a brief time. We had to strike quickly. Tengohambre is to blame for the entire trip. He E-mailed us the fare and the cabal of Beth and Bob lured everyone in.

I would go with no luggage. A speedo, running shoes and I'm good to go.

SIA is not giving us FF miles for the trip. the same is true of the decent deal Beth and I got on SIA to go to Bali in May. I'd rather have the up front cash savings than the FF miles anyway.

In truth, any available compassion should be directed towards Maureen, the afore-mentioned Friend of Panda. She will be stuck with us and our shenanigans.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Leave the speedo at home for a change - give the Thais a break.

By giving up the FF miles, you are forever doomed to flying in economy and staying in flea bag hotels like the ROS (sorry Kathie).
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Let's see. The FF miles are worth approximately .01 per point ( we use them to buy economy tickets, not upgrade). From JFK-BKK, one earns about 19,000 points or $190. Our bargain fares are about $500 less than usual. $500 minus $190 equals $310. Sounds like a very good deal to me even without the FF miles.

No speedo? How will they recognize me? It's the de rigeur costume of the Panda (there's nothing like writing about oneself in the third person. It provides a completely unwarranted sense of entitlement. Sort of like Yankees fans.)
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM

he is simply pathetic....and now i have to spend two weeks with him....he even wants to pre-book haircuts together...
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Ok, look here: Just tell the person in front that you want to bring your luggage inside the restaurant..tell them that you are headed for Bangkok, etc etc, if they balk. I do not want to be responsible for the case of Speedos being snatched from the trunk, or should I say the boot. I hope you are also taking a wetsuit to counteract the freezing cold pool temperatures in Bangkok! Come to think of it, bring along a thermometer so you can take the temperatures of the pools at the Four Seasons and Sukhothai for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -