Reload this Page >

United business class to Asia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:19 PM
David

Any comments on United's business class from US to Japan/Hong Kong? We've gone on Cathay Pacific before whcih was great but this time we had a credit on United. Your feedback would be appreciated.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Kathie

I've flown United to Asia at least yearly for the past 10 years or so, since I have very frequent flier status with them. I've always had excellent service from them. I've flown others - Thai, Cathay Pacific, and though it's unfashionable to say so, I get the best service, best food on United.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Fred

It's not just unfashionable to say that the food and service are better on United than Thai or Cathay, it's downright misleading. The Asian airlines have many more attendants on each flight, far more attentive service, higher standards, tastier food, and wider selections than either Nothwest or United!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Jane

Just flew United Business to China last month. It was great. Try to get seats 15A/B (or C/D) upstairs if it is a 747. We fly frequently, domestically and internationally,--best seats we have ever had--including 777s. Check out my report and photos at http://www.geocities.com/janelp2/Chi...and_Words.html You may enjoy the vicarious trip.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Connor

United has upgraded its business class over the past few years. The seats are now much more comfortable and you get more legroom. Definitely get row 15 on the upper deck if possible.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:50 AM
David

Your positive remarks are appreciated.<BR><BR>Actually we are currently assigned 16 A/B. Tried to get 15 A/B which the seating chart shows is still available but United claims they don't preassign those seats - or is that because I'm using an upgrade and/or that we are not Premier frequent flyers?<BR>

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Kathie

If I remember correctly, row 15 is an exit row. On international flights, I believe they still adhere to the old rule of not pre-assigning exit row seats. But do ask when you get to the airport.<BR><BR>I'm flying United business class to Asia today. I'm on a 777 (which is my favorite plane).

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 10:17 AM
jane

If you are 1K (or maybe even a lesser ranking premier member), they will preassign. So if a 1K member asks for these seats prior to checking in then they will be gone.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Kathie

I flew United business class rountrip Seattle to Bangkok (layover at Narita) on my recent trip to Thailand and Laos. Despite declaring bankruptcy during our stay in Thailand, their service both was was excellent. The planes were full both directions, but the service was efficient and gracious. <BR><BR>My favorite plane is the Boeing 777, and I like to sit in the front section of Business Class (rows 8 - 10, I believe), as it tends to be quieter

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Diane

Wonderful website, Jane. Made me want to go to China.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 09:17 AM
jhm

I hate to give away one of my favorite tips, but here goes = try www.seatguru.com.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 04:29 AM
David

Thanks Kathie. Glad to hear things are still good.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:19 AM
kh

I don't fly United internationally because the flight attendants are chosen based on senority and I frankly don't want a 50+ year old woman in charge of my safety! Whenever possible I fly Qantas as it is staffed with young, fit men. Plus they have never had a fatality. But as a matter of course, it is preferable to fly the nation's flagship carrier when flying overseas.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Joan

I just spoke to someone who said her neighbor is a flight attendent who flies from ORD to China and she is 30 years-old.

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 08:52 AM
DMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just returned from our trip. Must report that we were VERY PLEASED with United's business class. Though we did not have beds, the seats were very spacious and comfortable. Sitting on the upper deck was vey quiet. Basically we had two attendants serving dinner to the 26 passengers on the upper deck. The service was done very well and the food was good. (Cathy Pacific had more cabin staff.) It was a very positive experience and we would not hesitate to fly on United again.<BR><BR>PS: The flight attendants were not old women as someone wrote previously, but rather a mixture of men, younger and more &quot;experinced&quot; women.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:51 AM

For KH:<BR>I flew Quantas to New Zealand last year and one of the &quot;young men&quot; attendants looked as though he was in the last stages of aides. So much for your theory. Also, the service was the worst of any flight I have ever taken overseas.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Make that &quot;Qantas&quot;. Sorry.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:45 PM

United is adequate. They will never provide the service that the Asian airlines provide. I have flown both United Business and First to Narita, Hong Kong and Singapore. In business, sit upstairs away from the bathroom and away from the galley that will help make the trip more pleasant.