Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Cambodia to Luang Prabang...or somewhere else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping you can help me. We will be based in Siem Reap for 7 days the last week of November, after 3 1/2 weeks in Vietnam on a trip arranged with Tonkin Travel. We leave Siem Reap on December 1, and on December 13 we fly from Ho Chi Minh City to Palau (South Pacific). In that 12-day period we were thinking of spending a couple of days in Pnomh Penh and then heading up to Luang Prabang in Laos for a week or so, since we've heard great things about that town.

What do you think of that idea? And how can we get from Cambodia (or, if necessary, Ho Chi Minh City) to Luang Prabang and back to HCMC for a reasonable price? Air fares that I've found seem very high. I know we should have worked the Laos visit into the northern Vietnam portion of our trip, but that's water under the bridge.

If not Luang Prabang, where would you suggest spending 10 days or so? Our time in Southeast Asia is part of a 4 1/2 month round-the-world trip that starts September 1. Because of the length of the trip, we need to be attentive to costs. Any ideas are appreciated!
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Oops, sorry I spelled Luong Prabang incorrectly!
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Or maybe I didn't? !!
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:11 PM

It is Luang Prabang.

It's a charming town, but I wouldn't spend 10 days there (we spent a week there years ago and loved it). But you can also go out into the countryside in Laos from there. Flights into LP can be pricy, but check for flights on Lao Air, as they tend to be the cheapest. VN Air has flights between HCMC and LP. Check with Tonkin and see if they can get you good airfares into/out of LP.
Old May 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM

I loved Luang Prabang but 3-4 days ie enough. You might consider flying from there to Vientiene (v peaceful) or else Chiang Mai or Hanoi (if not doing that already). As far as I recall, direct flights from LP are to Bangkok, Hanoi, Chiang Mai and Vientiene...but not everywhere. So you may find you have to take a flight to HCMC via somewhere else anyway. You might also check out a tour company I have used - travelindochina. They do a few overland Laos trips, minus flights, if you wanted to spend more time exploring the country or travelling from one country to another in the region. Have fun! Its a great part of the world and I think you will love it.
Old May 26th, 2011, 04:37 PM

4 days max for LP..

some time in thailand?? or myanmar??