Ubud or Seminyak?

Search

Ubud or Seminyak?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ubud or Seminyak?

So! K and I are definitely going to Bali for a long weekend in September, ( I am visiting her in Singapore) I was thinking if staying somewhere in Ubud, but she thinks as the traffic is now quite bad getting from the airport to Ubud ( and we only have 3 nights there) it may be easier to go to Seminyak, couple of questions:
How long does it take these days to get from the airport to Ubud?

Any reccos for cute Balinese resorts in Seminyak? ( looking to spend max £140 tax incl per night)
I have The Colonony club on my list thanks to Marmot ( although doesn't look strictly Balinese) and The Amaya,any other suggestions. A good spa would be a bonus.

Have never been to Seminyak, but I understand it to be a beach resort with good bars, restaurants and shops..... Any further info?

I did have a separate post about hotels in Ubud but all suggestions welcome IF the transfer isn't too long to Ubud ( I am thinking we wouldn't want to do more the 90mins) I seem to think when I went in Dec 2012 it was about 90 mins but I can't remember.

All advice/ help greatly received.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

I should add I have been to Ubud before ( K has been to Bali several times,) this about chilling out, great food and maybe some spa treatments and 2 friends spending some time together.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember it seeming no time at all the times I've flown into DPS and gone directly to Ubud. Google says 38km for the trip, 44 minutes. If you arrive at a busy time, I can't see that another 20 minutes would be a significant deterrent, if you really like Ubud, as I do.

However, if the person you're visiting doesn't want to go there, that for me is a better reason. But I wouldn't let a few minutes more for the short trip be the deciding factor.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 05:10 PM

I've been to Seminyak, Nicky. Not very exciting. Ubud is 1 hour from the airport. Just do it.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 06:33 PM

The correct answer is both! Food, spas and opportunities to chill are the essence of both places. The difference is the overarching ambiance.

Transit time from airport to Ubud is an "it depends" situation. Door to door, I'd plan on an hour+, maybe 90 minutes. I agree, though: that extra 45 minutes doesn't seem to be enough of a determining factor.

Seminyak is all about the ocean. If you're not interested in spending time at the beach -- swimming, sunning, walking, sunset watching, staring out to sea -- you'd be better off in Ubud.

Ubud is all about nature and culture -- rice paddies, rain forests, mountains, dance, museums, temple processions. If that's not the focus of this trip, then you might enjoy your time in Seminyak more.

There are sophisticated (and expensive) restaurants in both places and plenty of casual cheap warungs offering local food and atmosphere. Ubud cuisine tends toward healthy, e.g., creative raw, green and crunchy. Seminyak toward fusion and seafood. There are exceptions like Mosaic in Ubud; Watercress in Seminyak. After dark Seminyak is buzzing, Ubud goes to sleep (as do I),

Shopping in Ubud leans more toward arts and crafts, in Seminyak toward fashion and design.

The spa experience is harder to differentiate -- I'd say Ubud is more wellness focused; Seminyak more sybaritic.

It's difficult to characterize what is "Balinese" in architecture, as it's evolved to include an International beach resort style that encompasses Balinese elements. You'll find plenty of villas and villa resorts in Seminyak with secluded tropical gardens, timber ceilings, balconies, private pools, outside showers, inside-outside living, but with more contemporary design, less Balinese carving and grass roofs.

The Colony is, well, colonial and not especially Balinese inspired, but it's bright and clean, well managed by friendly Balinese, and close to the beach and everything else. If you're planning to spend more time out and about this is a good choice. If you visualize luxuriating in your private villa, then there are other options.

Did you mean to write Amaya or Amala or Samaya? I can't find Amaya. Amala looks nice but further from the beach. The Samaya is a great choice but may be out of your price range.

I can't give a personal referal on individual villas because I haven't visited, but some that have been recommended to me are The Elysian, Ahimsa Estate (the one near the beach), Uma Sapna, any of the villas in Laksmana Estate, Villa Asri Batu Belig. There are hundreds of others. I'd concentrate on Oberoi, Petitenget and Batu Belig.

Bali is relatively quiet this year. Rates should be good in September.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks,
marmot yet is meant Amala! ( I have stayed TA the Samay Ubud and it was fab, but alas Samay Seminyak is out of the trips budget )
I do really like the look of the Colony, so it's definitely a top choice.

I guess I am leaning towards Seminyak because a) I have never been. B) it will be nice to be near the ocean . BUT I just LOVE Ubud...... Oh the decisions... I'll contact K when she's back from Japan and see how strongly she feels about it ( I suspect she will be ok with either if the transfer is max 90 mins to Ubud)
Thanks again all.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:35 AM

Smeagol, thanks for starting the thread.
marmot, lovely posting, you've sown a seed.
Now for the planning - thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 06:22 AM

To add to my previous reply, which was quite brief in comparison to Marmot's fine and detailed post:

If you are counting on pristine white sand beaches, Seminyak is not your place. Yes, there are beautiful sunsets but the sand is gray. The ocean is great for surfing but the surf can be rough. Of course, many places will also have pools (but you can find pools at many places in Ubud also). Jeane also thought that while shopping in Seminyak (clothing or otherwise) was disappointing, she loved Ubud for its many interesting shops. I can't comment about bars and nightlife, as that is not really our "thing" - I can see where Ubud would be considered quieter than Seminyak.

Disclaimer: we actually stayed in Canguu (Hotel Tugu), which is right next door to Seminyak.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:31 AM

some seminyak beaches do have lovely sand
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:54 AM

Sméagol, we spent one week in Bali, and we agree with Marmot's ideas above. If/when we return, we plan to stay in Seminyak. We really liked the gorgeous ocean beaches there, with the variety of restaurants, etc. But to get more of a flavor of Balinese culture, we thought our two day trips to Ubud were very enjoyable. We hired a driver, very inexpensive, and usually not our style, but with him we went to quite a few areas, including fabulous Balinese art galleries, had lunch in Ubud, and visited a few other places like Sanur. The driver even invited us to see his own home. These two days were very stimulating. And we were so happy that we did not choose to rent a car. The roads would be quite a challenge to negotiate. Whatever you choose to do, we hope you enjoy Bali!
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM

Bob, I guess I missed those beaches (see disclaimer) but from what I had heard, they are not world class. If you do a search for photos, some nice Seminyak beaches do come up. Bottom line, the shopping was lame...
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 03:21 PM

we were not overwhelmed with the shopping either, but K did find a few shops that held some interest...

she likes a couple of shops in sanur more
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 04:10 PM

Seminyak is a surfing beach which means big swells, crashing waves, and basically a powerful, assertive ocean. If that's not what you have in mind when you think beach, then it's not for you.

If you walk 4 kilometers from from north to south Seminyak (Batu Belig to Double 6) you'll see a range of sand quality -- whiter/darker, finer/coarser. But it's not the powdery sugary stuff. Further north in Canggu to Tanah Lot the beaches become black and volcanic.

Equatorial tide are unique in that they have a very wide range. The width of visible beach on any given day in Seminyak can vary by 50 meters -- sometimes more -- so you can experience a completely different beach depending on when you visit. On super high tide days, there is no room at all for beach chairs. On super low tide days, the beach is extended well out into the ocean.

To me, the biggest problem with all of Bali's west coast is that during the stormy months -- especially January and February -- a lot of trash washes up on the beach. They keep cleaning it up, and it keeps coming back. This is a problem that Bali has not successfully resolved.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

I should add I don't actually want to lie on the beach, we just like the idea of some ocean views ( should we want them!)
Still pondering this one and all the above is fabulous advice, thank you.
We can't book any flights yet as I am waiting for my passport renewal to come back... And the Tiger air flights I wanted seem to have dissaperead completely! Think we will have to go Garuda as they have the best times from Singapore .

As an aside should we be considering Sanur?
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:29 PM

Some ocean views should you want them is exactly the point, especially for meals and drinks. Walks if you are so inclined.

Garuda will be fine.

Sanur has a dedicated following. I think the choice of restaurants is better and wider in Seminyak, but you can only eat so much in a long weekend.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:45 AM

There are some moderate, but comf hotels in Sanur. most with a very Balinese flavor. Not real lux, but this in a K trip not muffin. I think there are some spas in the area. The board walk and Main Street parallel each other, so lots of areas to stroll. We have o a couple of places to eat we can pass on to you. I think the shops here have more variety, and there are a couple of nice ones. Not designer, but unique stuff. Views out over the ocean are interesting. Place to consider if you just want to chill by a pool and spa.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 07:45 AM

Sanur to start with, much longer in Ubud, and Lombok are so far on our hit list. We're allowing 5 weeks.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 02:41 AM

Just booked flights with Garuda, for 29 days to keep within the 30 day VOA, 24 Sep to 23 Oct.

£20 a night for a double including breakfast is what I'll be looking to average out at, kicking-off in Sanur.

Bali's never appeared on my radar before, but it looks great and so easy to get around by bemo and ferry.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 07:06 AM

Great stuff, thank you! This is the current plan for 2016!
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Karen,
can you remember how long the transfer was from the airport to Sanur? any hotel reccos (ideally i am looking for Qunci villas in Bali )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -