Ubud, Bali hotel recommendations, Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Bali in November, 2012 and would appreciate information from anyone who has a favorite accommodation there. Price range is mid-high. Thanks

McBeanie
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 11:11 AM

We stayed a the Samaya at Christmas , it's expensive but we got an awesome deal off expedia which made it a great rate. Best service we have experienced at any hotel, with super friendly staff and wonderful food. Check it out, it really was wonderful.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:42 PM

mcb, you should think about whether you'd rather be in the town of Ubud itself or in the surrounding countryside. Being in town allows you to walk to restaurants, shops and many performance venues. Being outside gives you access to nature and in many cases extraordinary views.

I like the Uma Ubud in town and the Alila outside. I think the Como Shambhala is in a class in itself (but I'd descibe it more high than mid price). The Komen group also offers some charming choices. Alam Sari is a good value and provides a lot of cultural activities. Samaya also sounds and looks good, but I haven't been there yet.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM

I would add the Maya, Komaneka Bisma, and Uma Ubud to that list. I personally wouldn't want to be in a hotel in the cramped downtown area. Those I listed above have lovely expansive gardens, fantastic staff and all the bells and whistles, plus locations close enough to downtown to pop in for dinner (take a shuttle to avoid having to walk on the sidewalks.

Have never been to the Samaya but when I have a chance will check it out. Have heard good things about it from visitors though.

A note about Ubud, and I'm probably preaching to the choir, so please forgive me. I'm also writing this for others who may want to know about Ubud in general. Many people think of Ubud downtown as THE Ubud. It's not. Ubud is a region that is quite large and a part of the regency of Gianyar (there are about 5 regencies in Bali). So although many people come to Ubud they may not be getting the feel for the area that is so loved by many including myself. Ubud is great NOT for the cracked and broken sidewalks, row upon row of shops selling many similar things and fake Polo t-shirts, and traffic jams. If you come here and only see this, you might go home wondering what all the buzz is about. Ubud is wonderful for the material arts (antiques, wood and stone carving etc) temples, ancient history and rich traditional life, Balinese dance and gamelan music, rice fields and rivers, and of course the wonderful gentle people, and much more. You might be very disappointed in Ubud if you consider Ubud to be just the few streets that are downtown.

Anyway, hope you have fun planning your trip and safe travels!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Chedi Ubud!

My favorite is the Como Shambala(Begawan Giri) and the Uma is like a sister hotel, less expensive and much closer to town.