Type of luggage

Search

Type of luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type of luggage

I'll be travelling to 3 different cities in Japan - Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo. Since I'll be travelling by train among these cities, would it be easier to use backpack instead of luggage?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 01:02 PM

How about the best of both worlds? I have a rolling trek back from Victorinox/Swiss Army that I love. It is the 24 inch which is the max size that fits in an overhead. It also comes with an detachable daypack.

It is the E-Motion 360 series at www.swissarmy.com
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:44 PM

No, a regular roller bag will do. I took a backpack with wheels on it to Japan twice, travelling to several cities by train and plane. I don't think I ever carried it as a backpack. When navigating the train stations, you do have to get around to different platforms, etc., so you would have to pick up your bag (rather than roll it) to use the steps.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:18 PM

Interesting: Just a couple observations

Check the luggage size restrictions on international travel if you do carryon ....different than domestic [U.S.]...however, when is it enforced!

I too have "travel pak" Eagle Creek. Roller bag with back pack straps. Did not use [packpak feature] while in Japan. My experience was same as "mrwunrfl".
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:47 PM

When my family and I was in Japan a couple of years ago we use a luggage forwarding service. Very easy and convenient all you have to do is to tell somebody in your hotel that you want this done and they will arrange everything. We arrived in Osaka went to Kyoto and finally Tokyo by train and we used this service for all sector. We would send the luggage the night prior to our departure and the luggage will be waiting in our room at the next destination.

For the train it would be hard for you to haul luggage around. The stations are not made for carrying or even dragging luggage with wheels. There are narrow stairs and quite crowded at time. On the train itself the space is quite tight. The sevice that i've mentioned is inexpensive and highly reccomended.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:04 PM

Bonjour Ktny,

If you only plan to go from one city to another and then stay for some time at one place, you should have no problem with a regular roller bag. The 3 stations you mention all have elevators, escalators, and big lockers, and there is enough space in the Shinkansen (and I often travel with sport equipment on top of my usual baggage).

The forwarding method that Hanuman advises is very convenient too (ask for "Takkyubin" at your hotel desk).

A backpack is great if you plan to do a lot of travel and use smaller stations, but you'll very quickly realise it forces you to spend days at one place just for laundry ;-)