Reload this Page >

Two Weeks in Thailand?

Search

Two Weeks in Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:01 PM
Walter

Two Weeks in Thailand?

Hi,<BR>My wife and I are planning a two week trip to Thailand at the beginning of August. As of now, we're planning on visiting Bangkok for 3 days, Chiang Mai for 2 two days, Phuket and area for 4 days, then Ko Samui for 4 days. <BR><BR>Is this too ambitious? We're planning on flying to each location. Is it overkill to try to hit both beach resorts, Phuket and Ko Samui?<BR><BR>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. <BR>Thanks,<BR>WK

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:18 PM
Kathie

Personally, I'd choose only three locations. You lose most of your day each time you change locations. It depends on whether you want to sample a variety of things so you can come back to your faves or whether you want a relaxing vacation. <BR><BR>I'd do something like this: 3-4 days Bangkok, 3-4 days Chaing Mai, one week in a beach area, either Phuket or Ko Samui. Remember, you're pretty jet-lagged when you arrive, you'll need a little time to get your feet on the ground.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Audrey

We went to Bangkok for 6 nights and Phuket for 8 last June/July. I wouldn't waste valuable holiday time flying around. We are going back again this year and are having 5 nights in Bangkok and 9 in Koh Samui. If you like shopping/entertainment and going on trips then 5 nights is a good time in Bangkok even although we were told it was too long. <BR>We stayed at the Rembrandt Hotel in Bangkok, this year we're going to the Landmark - both really good hotels and centrally located. In Phuket we stayed at the Le Meredian Phuket and that was fantastic.<BR>Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Ursula

Audrey: I think 4-6 nights in Bangkok is fine. Lots of things to to. And then, one must not underestimate jetlag. Usually, I suffer quite a lot the first days. Also from the change in climate. I like to take it easy upon arrival.<BR><BR>Walter: Agree with the previous posters. I would either choose Phuket or Koh Samui.<BR>On Phuket, if I should go back, I would choose the Kata Thani on Kata beach. Directly on the beach, no road in between like it is with a lots of hotels in Patong.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Michael From New York

Just as a follow up to Ursula's comments: I stayed at the Kata Thani Resort in Kata Noi, Phuket. It is indeed ocean front. However there is a road. MOST of the Kata Thani resort IS on the Ocean side, but they do have newer wings that ARE across the street. I stayed in the Ocean Wing and that was right on the beach. <BR><BR>If you go here:<BR>http://community.webshots.com/album/25840186lKOHEWQdSh<BR><BR>you can see pictures of the Kata Thani Resort as well as the Ocean Wing and shots of the beach too. The resort also has four or five restaurants - The Pirates Grill was excellent.<BR><BR>michael<BR><BR>Michael

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Karl

If you can stay in a hotel in Phuket you can stay in Patong beach and enjoy the night life which is better because you are near to everything than the other beaches or you have to go to Patong beach by taxi which can be expensive. You can find rooms in Patong from only 300 or 400 bahts.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:14 AM
Katie

I stayed at the Kata thani, in a room opposite the beach and it was great, really nice hotel, really beautiful at night when all the pools are lit up.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:58 AM
Morgan

I would rate Koh Samui well above Phuket, less sleeze and a lot cheaper. Also in August you can swim ok on Koh Samui but Phuket can be very dangerous for swimming, regulat drownings despite the red flags

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Colin

I did <BR>Bangkok (3 nights)<BR>Chiang Rai (3 nights)<BR>Phuket (1 night) stopover<BR>Krabi (4 nights)<BR>Phi Phi (4 nights)<BR><BR>.. and personally, I couldn't fault it !<BR><BR>Bangkok, Northern Thailand and a beach is fastly becoming the popular choice, but if you're like me, and get bored very easily whilst lying on a beach, I think that moving from one location to another is a good idea! You get too see another view of Thailand. <BR><BR>It was tiring however.<BR><BR>Thailand Travelogue & Photos<BR>http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~fos007/fb2b.htm<BR>