Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is there a Catholic Church for Mass in Luang Prabang?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Luang Prabang (my first visit) this December for 5 days. I'm Roman Catholic and would like to know if there is a Catholic Church for Mass on the Saturday or Sunday of my visit.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 12:56 PM
rje

Best I could find. Not new, but churches tend not to close frequently.

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Catho...Laos-2909.html

Catholics in Ban Pong Vang (northern Laos) celebrated Easter in their new church of Our Lady of Fatima which was recently consecrated by the Apostolic Nuncio Mgr Salvatore Pennacchio.

It is the first church built in this part of the country since its fall to Communist insurgents in 1975. Since then the Communist regime has denied religious freedom and constantly harassed and persecuted the Church.

Mgr Tito Bachong Thopahong, apostolic administrator of Luang Prabang vicariate and its only priest, was Easter service celebrant.

He came to perform Easter mass in the new church for 86 eager families who were very happy to have a place of worship of their own.

also:

http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=7797

On Saturday, Archbishop Salvatore Pennacchio, Delegate Apostolic for Laos, Malaysia, Brunei and Myanmar, as well as Papal Nuncio in Thailand, Cambodia and Singapore, blessed the first church built in north Laos since the Communist revolution in the mid 1970s. The church is in Pong Vang, Luang Prabang Vicariate Apostolic, in the province of Sayaburi. The 300 Catholics in this area kept the faith and remained united through many difficult years even without a priest. Today they have their own church. "This little Church, dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima, is a reward for the faith of this community", Archbishop Pennacchio told Fides. Sayaburi civil authorities attended the ceremony and Rev Tito Banchong, Apostolic Administrator of Luang Prabang and Mgr Brian Udaigwe, an official at the Nunciature concelebrated with Archbishop Pennacchio. The local Catholics were very happy and deeply moved. During his homily the Archbishop told them he brought greetings from Pope John Paul II, and the Pope's blessing and encouragement. Source: Fides
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I found a phone number for the Vicariate Apostolate in Luang Prabang. I'll call when I arrive locally.

Most overseas travels I have no problems with finding a Church and going to Mass. Thanks for helping me with your post. Much appreciated.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 07:19 AM

Hi! I'm currently in Luang Prabang - were you able to attend Mass during your stay here?
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 03:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors oscarmagistrado.

"were you able to attend Mass during your stay here?"

neejas likely won't see your question - s/he hasn't posted on the forums since 2014.

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 30th, 2023 at 02:46 PM. Reason: repaired broken html