Reload this Page >

TUK-TUK'S IN THAILAND

Search

TUK-TUK'S IN THAILAND

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 04:32 AM
Teresa

TUK-TUK'S IN THAILAND

I've read that tuk-tuk's can be quite dangerous in Bangkok and some books advise not to use them. Is this true? As my kids will be with me I'm a bit concerned, but would really love to give them a go. Are they as bad as they say? Can 2 adults and 2 kids (8 + 12) fit in? <BR> <BR>Thanks. Teresa.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 08:36 AM
awriter

no, tuk tuks are ok in terms of safety, but they are always more expensive than metered cabs. It could be fun to take one ride just for the experience, but don't make a habit of it. after one zip through bangkok in a tuk tuk, you'll be covered with a nice layer of soot and polution. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 08:30 AM
Tom

Like the last poster, I also recommend taking one ride on a tuk tuk. Its not unsafe and can be quite an experience (though you'll need two for the four of you). However, I found that tuk tuk drivers RARELY take you where you want to go. They make commissions by taking you to alleged "state" gem stores and the like. When they mention that you will first make a quick stop at such a store before going to your prefered destination, simply walk away and ask the next driver. Otherwise, the cabs are inexpensive and plentiful, though the traffic can be quite extreme. Try to avoid travelling during rush hour.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 07:48 PM
Gigi

I have ridden them, and I would say they are pretty dangerous for young children, sue to the fact that they only have three wheels and one back door. Also the exhaust fumes in bangkok are so bad that you might feel sick after riding in one during mid day traffic. I would stick to air conditioned cabs. Ride in one for the experience, but dont use it everyday....

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 07:20 PM
jacquie

My husband and I rode in one for probably half an hour a few years back and I am surprised I made it to our destination alive !! Obviously you have no protection should there be an accident. I guess you could take a short ride in a relatively quiet area for the experience. I hope you have nerves of steel!! <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 02:12 AM
Daniel

Bonjour. <BR> <BR>Riding a tuk-tuk is an experience you can't avoid if you go in Bangkok. Tough a few precautions are to be followed. First don't go with the driver who tells you that the museum or the temple is closed today for a special holiday. He is trying to drive you to some store to buy stuff. Just say no, politely, but firmly. Second, always negotiate the price before getting on. We were in Bgk and Chang Mai last year an got around our hotel using this mean of transport for what it seem was of short distance. It's fast, not expensive and fun. But for long drives get a taxi <BR>Daniel. <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 09:54 PM
Ike

I would recommend a ride in a samlor instead. These are great little shared vehicles (you can fit 8 or 10 in at a squeeze) with four wheels but plenty of fresh air. They travel along defined routes, mainly in the suburbs. Tough to decribe, I'm afraid. Definately safer than a tuk-tuk, and cheaper than either a tuk-tuk or a cab. <BR> <BR>On a related topic you must catch a public boat on the Chao Phraya river. <BR>Fantastic!

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 05:59 PM
Kathy

I agree with the person who said Take it in Chaing Mai, there is less traffic there. Bangkok the traffic is horrible and I wouldnt have felt safe. If you go to Chiang mai stay at Westin Hotel call the 800 res line ask for Asian Valu rate is was about 65.00 just a few mos ago, any other ? e-mail me. I didnt like BKK but liked Chiang Mai and Phuket. <BR>

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 05:37 AM
Mary

Our family used a tuk-tuk during the day. No good. They do all the things the other replies said. However, night time was different. Our kids loved it. They were nice and cool and we got where we wanted to and very quickly too. We fitted 2 adults and 2 kids in without too much bother. Remember cha-cha said slowly means slow and cha-cha said quickly means faster! Haggle hard as there are plenty around, but our kids found them great fun, but only at night. Tuk-tuks are different in each place. 3-wheeled variety in Bangkok, mini-vans in Phuket. Also the 'limosines' at your hotel charge you twice the price and only take you to the driver's family and friends places too.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 10:21 AM
caz

i agree with the replies..my husband and i rode a tuk-tuk to a temple which was ok and the driver waited..however when we asked him to take us back to the hotel, he refused and said he would take us to his brothers gem shop first. when we insisted he take us back to the hotel and he still refused we got out and refused to pay him. <BR>be warned.