COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Tugu Bali: Anyone there lately?

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Tugu Bali: Anyone there lately?

Hi,
Has anyone stayed at the Tugu Bali hotel recently? Not much written about it, but it was just recommended in Travel & Leisure mag by a Bali travel expert. We've only got 2 nights at the beach ( and then 6 in Ubud at the Komeneka Bisma) so really just want to relax after we arrive from Viet Nam.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM

We'll be staying there in May--definitely will report back. Not sure when you're going, though.

All their resorts seem to get raves...and we were particularly taken with the beauty of all the antiques and artwork an the Canggu property.

Definitely looking forward to our 2 nights there,
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Great place - probably hasn't changed too much since we were there in '02. Not a great beach though if you are thinking about just hanging...
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM

I sent some clients to stay there last June and they loved it. Great service and wonderful food. One thing to note however is that the beach and water around Tugu Bali are best for surfers, so if you're looking for a place where you can swim right off the beach this probably isn't it. However, my clients had a great time there and had nothing but great things to say about this resort.

Happy Travels!
Amanda
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM

I've visited the Tugu Bali several times but never actually stayed there. I have stayed at their original property in Malang, Java and have followed their development in Bali and Lombok over the years.

I have to say I'm not a Tugu Bali fan. I write this with trepidation as I certainly don't mean to offend any of Tugu's many repeat customers, but I thought a minority report would provide some balance.

The antiques and artifacts are exquisite, but they seem to skew more toward Javanese/Chinese than Balinese. The design IS dramatic, but the rooms and public areas are on the dark side and somewhat mildew-y. The pool and gardens are atmospheric, but to me a little claustrophobic.

Canggu is a center for expat living and has become "villa central" but it isn't really a destination in itself. The beaches are scruffy (not in an especially scenic sense) better for surfing than swimming or walking. There are limited options for eating and shopping in the area. Most people I know who stay in Canggu spend a good deal of their time commuting to Seminyak.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM

A similiar property you may want to look at is Desa Seni.
It is also in Canggu and composed of gorgeous antique houses furnished with antiques. Lovely pool, great food and service, daily yoga and a nice spa.