Tsukiji Market, Tokyo, Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2016, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fishy is Tsukiji Market? I'm very tempted by the idea of a little early-morning sashimi, but have no need to see a tuna auction, and I don't want to set out for the museum spattered in fish goo. Is it possible to stroll the outdoor area while keeping my shoes presentable?
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:28 AM

There are several restaurants in an area that is nowhere near the fish goo part. I understand now that it is called the outer market area (Jogai Shijo).

My advice is to not go there during lunch time. That is what I did and was in a very long line. A bit later and there was little/no line.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:51 AM

The outer market is fine. I highly, highly recommend breakfast at Sushidai. To minimize your wait in line (there's only about 12 seats at the counter), I would be in line by 5:00 a.m. At that point, you should make it in for the second shift by around 6:15-6:30. The best sushi of my life and I will be back in line when I hopefully return to Japan next spring.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 12:16 PM

What I find most appealing of the outer market is the sheer number of places to eat. If you want to try a popular sushi restaurant and are willing to stand in line for 1-2 hours, that is available to a visitor. There are also many small restaurants and stands serving fresh, delicious seafood from Tsukiji that one can simply walk up to without waiting, so you can pick and choose which experience to try.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Excellent! Thanks, everyone!
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 05:51 PM

I am not someone who'd stand 1-2 hours in line for any food, and I won't go there at 5a either. But there are tonnes of sushi bars (that's what they are) not mentioned in guide books and you can walk in and find a seat in mid-morning and eat at your leisure. Not having to pre-order outside in line, and not to think there are 200 people outside while I am enjoying my sashimi.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 06:30 PM

rkkwan, I'm like you, wouldn't stand in line that long for sushi. Plus I like beer and sake with my sushi and that wouldn't sit too well in my tummy in the early morning hours.

The last time I was in Tsukiji by myself, I wandered down a small alley, turned the corner and there was a small counter with maybe 8 seats serving chirashi, bowls of sushi rice filled with slices of different kinds of raw fish.

There was one man in a suit, another with rubber boots and an apron and two young delivery guys in coveralls. They were wolfing down their food, how do they eat so fast! I sat down, ordered and it was fresh, delicious and very reasonable. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese so don't know the name of the place, just luckily stumbled upon it.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 09:29 PM

Let me elaborate more about my experience. There are dozens of sushi places outside of Tsukiji, in several "alleys". We arrived mid-morning, around 9:30 or 10. Two of those are mentioned in all guide books and have lines snaking in front of their store fronts - all tourists. Most of the others do not.

With those two popular ones, a server will take the order when one gets close to the front of line. And I assume inside, they'll give you your set immediately after you sit down. [Please correct me if I am wrong.]

My friends and I instead went to one with no line. Inside are all locals. Instead of having all served on a tray, our sushi are made one-by-one. We finish one piece, and the chef will make the next one for us. Served by hand piece by piece.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 09:44 PM

We did the same as rkkwan, we arrived mid-morning, about that same time, didn't even consider queuing at the two famous ones, went straight for a nearby one, no queue, got the last table there and had a great sushi meal.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 05:23 AM

Pieces at Sushidai are made individually. I intentionally stayed in Ginza so that it was only a 10m walk away.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 10:35 AM

I've always considered Tsukiji as the tourist fish market eating place. Any good fish market, sushi joint or restaurant in Tokyo will have fish just as fresh and just as good with sushi chefs equal to or better than those at Tsukiji. All those fish in the market that are on sale every morning in Tsukiji do not go exclusively to those two restaurants mentioned js.

Aloha!
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!

Whether I get to Tsukiji at 5am or not will depend entirely on how my jetlag does.

Anyway, it's great to know that it's clean enough that I can start my day there and interesting enough to be worth a visit (it's also quite close to my hotel). Looking forward to seeing what I can find there!
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 07:36 AM

The outer market is not very fishy and for me was the highlight for me, to walk around and explore.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 08:49 AM

We got there around 5.30 -6.00am just a after the Tuna auctions had finished. had a wander around most parts of the market which were still manically busy. i don't recall it being particularly messy. some photos of the market on our blog entry for tokyo @ http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...2880/tpod.html

Great sashimi in one of the small places surrounding the market - just picked on that look nice and busy with locals
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 09:44 PM

If you enjoy browsing food markets, the outer market area is well worth a visit even later in the morning, if you need a nap before heading out.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 03:34 AM

Definitely try to get to the outer markets around 7 plus, before the bulk of tourists arrive. Would be advisable to have your breakfast there, though you really do not need to queue up from before sunrise at the popular restaurants. Instead, just stroll around and find one that isn't particularly deserted or not too crowded. The thing with Japan is that you can walk into any eatery and get at least an "ok" meal, never is the meal awful.

After your breakfast, you should continue exploring the outer market and snack on treats from side stalls. By then, you will probably have noticed the increase in crowds already. At that point, you can consider moving on to the inner market (opens at 9am, if I'm not wrong). The outer market is very clean and there is only a slight hint of fishiness so you should be fine. However, I would really recommend visiting the inner market if time persists AND if you do not have children in your group. Do take note that the inner market is where all the chaos and business actually takes place, so be prepared for workers continuing on with their duties, even if it means knocking into you. Be extra cautious inside this area and try to minimise disruption to their work. I would not say that is it extremely fishy or bloody, but that is only my opinion. To me, it is a shame to only visit the outer market but miss the inner market out. It truly is an interesting and eye opening experience that you should not miss out on. And perhaps, it could possibly be your last chance to visit the inner market since it's getting relocated soon.....

Enjoy your trip!