Travel to Philippines in Dec. Help

Oct 28th, 2000, 09:41 PM
John C.

Travel to Philippines in Dec. Help

I am travelling alone to Hong Kong and the Philippines in Dec. My plans for Hong Kong are set but Philippines are not. What are the availbilty of safe hotels in the $30 in the Manila with reservations? Should I make reservations? I am thinking of flying to Cebu also...Any highlights for my ten days in Philippines?

Oct 31st, 2000, 10:16 AM
cb

Do not miss the Ifugao rice terraces in Banaue, northern Philippines.

Nov 2nd, 2000, 08:31 PM
Brenda M.

Dear John C.

Manila is a great City. You'll find it very busy and people there are very hospitable. For sure i know you'll find Manila interesting and you will not regret stopping over for ten days. If you want to make some reservations with $30, i can recommend Soriente Hotel which you could find at J.Bocobo Street, Ermita, Manila.This is a safe place for you,and this is located at the heart of the City and very near all the plush hotels.You should make reservation when going to the Philippines because you'll be having a hard time with the taxi's if you do not know where you are going.Just like any other places, there are also lots of people who take advantage of strangers .
If you wish to fly to Cebu, you'll be enjoying the place because there are so many historic and tourist spots to be seen. Cebu is the oldest Ciy of the Philippines and you will find that it is one of the pride of Philippine tourism.For your highlight stay in there, i can tell that you visit Northern Luzon,esp.Bagiuo City. That is the summer capital,but in the month of December,you'll find it as cold as the summer of Washington.Anyway,if you have some more inquiries then yu can e-mail me, and i would be glad to assist you. Bye for now.-Brenda

Nov 9th, 2000, 02:43 PM
Dave

Beware in Hong Kong - all shopkeepers are slimmy.

Best place to shop for casual clothes is Granville st on Tsim Tsai Tsu

Stanley market is for tourist only!!!

Philippines is great.
Places a bit expensive in Manila compared to other parts of Philippines

$30 will be fine. Some are quite scummy esp in Elmira district.

No reservations necessary. Always cheaper if you go personally

Cebu was unimpressive. Unless you want to be in a resort and not see the real Philippines.

Better is Boracay (amazing sand and water) or even more tamer is Alona Beach in Bohol (very close to Cebu)

Boracay is not to be missed.

If you want adventure. Hike thru Mt Pinatubo near the city of Angeles. Great erruption occured 10 years ago. Very cool, moonscape place. And lots of GO GO girls if you really want - as Angeles used to be a US army base

email me if you want to know more

Nov 13th, 2000, 02:54 AM
buddy

Reservations may not be necessary. Hotels are not full and chances are you might get a good rate because they need guests. You may try the pension houses in Malate, or you can try the newer hotels near the P. Burgos area in Makati (which is a redlight district).
Cebu would be okay but if you're going to be here for 10 days, go straight to Boracay. There are daily flights from Manila to Boracay, and you can just walk-in to any of the resorts there. Great beach and good nightlife too (but nothing like Manila's).
If you can, try to go to Coron in Palawan. Great diving and stunning seaviews.
Puerto Galera is also popular for diving, and it too has a fun nightlife.
Forget Baguio and the north. It's overland travel on bad roads and travel time is long. Unless of course you like culture and nature treks.