Travel to India with a child?

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to India with a child?

My husband and I paid for a 13 day trip to India through a tour company for November 2005. About a week after we sent our final payment, I found out I was pregnant. It was advised by my doctor that we postpone the trip because of the travel dates.

Now we have our daughter and a rescheduled 7 day trip to the Golden Triangle for December 2006.

As a new mom I am very hesitant to leave our daughter (with her grandparents) for a full week. She will be 9 months old at the time of the trip.

Because I'm trying to work out other scenarios...canceling the trip with no refund being the last option, has anyone traveled to India with an infant? Would she even be able to go with the required vaccinations?

My last question would be...would anyone like to buy a trip to India??

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:05 PM

a. The little one is too young & the preventive inoculations/vaccinations that may be needed for your tour can only be commented upon by your family doctor/pediatrician.
b. About 16 hour’s journey will make the child cranky, for a couple of days, at least, on your arrival.
c. There will be a change in your own routine & eating habits. All foreigners face stomach problems for a couple of days, on an Indian tour, increasing your irritability. Will you be able to handle the child with all the devotion she needs?
Best Wishes!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:01 AM

Leave the darling baby with grandparents and be happy that you can have this time with spouse. The baby will be just fine with her grandparents. Just remember to bring the baby tenders a very nice present.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:11 AM

This is what they call a no brainer! The child will be much much much better off with the grandparents- my god what were you thinking?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:01 AM

Stephanie I don't mean to be harsh but remember you are a new mom with NO experience raising new borns- the grandparents have had a lot of experience- after all they raised you remember! Enjoy your trip and rest assured your baby will get all the attention in the world with the grandparents!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice!

No worries, BillT! I'm sure she will be fine with the grandparents. Leaving her will be harder on us than her...
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Well it seems like you have your answer. Its simple really. Go but leave the baby at home. Under no circumstances should you take a 9 mo. old to India. The other thing to do is check into medical prophylaxis for yourselves B4 you go. This is important IMHO. No joke here. I have been to India 5 times and got typhoid once. thats once too many times. Take precautions and you should be fine. Larry
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:41 AM

I might be crucified for this one!

I'm not usually over here on the Asia board, but have started poking around for information in hopes that I can tag along on hubby's next trip to India this year. Having a nearly 2 year old, I can understand your wanting to take your little one with you. If you have not done so, and if you really want to take her and have not ruled that out, speak with your pediatrician about this issue. I did last year and was surprised at what I heard from her. I do believe that if you want to do it, and prepare yourself adequately (including lining up medical care for your daughter over there just in case), it could be done.

Ultimately, I decided not to go last year, but this year I am ready, and I'm also ready for grandma to stay at home with the little fellow, but last year I wasn't! Some day he'll get to go, but this is not the year.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:16 PM

Don't even consider bringing your child to India. It's rough on adults. I was so shocked when I saw even 4-5 year olds on trips with their parents there. I'd have a hard time bringing anyone under say 10 years old and doubt I'd do that. The problem is that you want to control what you touch and what you eat and that would be very hard with little children. It's a hard trip on anyone. Yes incredibly interesting, somtimes stunning, sometimes horribly sad, but also very hard traveling even in "luxury" tours. But worth it for an adult to go if you prepare and give yourself enough rest time along the way to absorb it slowly. Enjoy your trip knowing your child is safe at home.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Well guys- I am a INDIAN and I am from a adventure and outdoor outfit which also handle package tours.

BUT !

I think,you SHOULD not bring infant kid to INDIA. There are complications of weather and lot of other factors. NOISE,TRAVEL,YOUR EATING and SLEEPING,PhATIQUE and STRESS.

You are coming to INDIA for having a experience of life time -not for going though torture.

I amamazed at posts asking you to drop the child with grandparents and come here to enjoy with husband....I am sorry.

My views are entirely opposite and I wish you to remain with infant kid and NOT TO TRAVEL TO INDIA.

I am sure-you will not be taking risks and troubles
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM

cantstayhome- yes let the crucifixtion begin.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM

You are going to India, not Bagdhad. You will be fine and your baby will be fine staying behind with family.

Please take lots of pictures.

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:53 AM

I travelled to India with my 5 year old and 2 year old this February. We had a fantastic time. Kids were healthy. That said we were visiting family a lot of the time. Although we did travel internally quite a bit and were thus as tourists.

I have some thoughts. Every child is different, I could not have left mione at 9 months for a week but both have been a little intense. However if you think it wouldn't be a big deal for her then you will have a great time so take advantage. Just know you'll be very tired when you get back and keep that in mind when planning returns to work etc.

Travelling to India with children is super hard but not impossible. Thy dynamics of your planned trip though might make it too hard with a 9mo old. Mostly that 7 days is a very short trip after coming so far... You won't be able to take a few days to just chill before starting anything. You won't be able to figure things out a bit before going places. If your coming from Europe it won't be as bad or the flight as long so that could offset. The Golden triangle tour will be lovely but with some moving around. If you were heading for a whole week to a beach resort that might be different (that might not be what you want to do in India but you could manage it better with a kid). If she is crawling by then it would be tricky to keep her clean and off the floor. This is easier if you are staying in homes.

Indians are very loving and accomodating of children. You'll be treated well.

My children had a fantastic trip. India is not off limits for children. There are just a few more issues to consider.

Good luck
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 09:02 AM

I would never take a child to India! Even less a 9 month old child! Do you think you can enjoy the trip with such a small baby? It won't be good for her neither it's for you.
Grandparents know how to take care of children, don't worry, go and enjoy the trip but leave the baby home.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 09:33 AM

It has been said that if you know Asia then India is like Asia on Steroids!!
Too many risks with an infant! Leave with grandma and you will enjoy your trip a lot more!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM

I am with BillT 1,000 per cent -- do NOT take your infant child with you. Even with adults, santitation is a big problem -- keeping fingers away from one's mouth or eyes is a constant problem. There isn't enough Purell in this world to protect an infant. India is the Big League of infection.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:38 PM

How do infants survive in India - without purell?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM

"How do infants survive in India - without purell?"

Many infants survive, many die. Living in India is far different than travelling in India. You are far more familiar with your food supply, tend to eat at home much more (if not exclusively).

Travelling through India you will often be eating every meal at a different location. Not knowing the history of each establishment is pushing the odds against you. Health standards are often non-existant and can be pretty abyssmal at even popular food joints.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM

We are dying to go to India. It has been top of our list for quite some time. However, we are waiting until our guys are older and we take them EVERYWHERE. It just seems that the heat, sanitation, poverty, food, immunizations and flights are too much for toddlers. We are holding off until they are older to go (the type of trip we want to take is about a month and far too long for us to leave them with grandparents). So, my advice is to go without your daughter or wait. There are many other parts of the world where you can go now with your daughter and have fun...Europe, South America, other parts of Asia, Hawaii. Just leave her first trip to India until she is a bit longer.

Enjoy wherever you decide to go.

Taitai
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Taitai: Thats a very sensible idea. Though I think you already know this let me say its a wise idea IMHO to check with a travel clinic or travel MD for immunizations recommended for the area you want to tour, especially India. Cheers, Larry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -