Travel Tips SE Asia

Search

Travel Tips SE Asia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Tips SE Asia

Just got back from a fantastic trip to Cambodia,Laos and Vietnam.
First off I want to commend Tonkin Travel. After over 80 emails since sept we were able to have a customized trip. Nhung was patient with all the questions and changes along the way. I also made some arrangements my self.

Ladies carry tissue with you, every now and again there is a need also hand wipes.
Avoid Delta coach. Little food, no personal TV.

Cambodia=
Our guide Sok Som was very knowledgeable, he knew how to avoid the crowds and tailor the intensity of the experience. Stayed at Raffles which I booked with Delta miles. The decor is not fancy but the service was exceptional. We felt like Royalty returning home. Frangipani has moved. New beatiful location, they opened up early for us on our last morning, just before going to the airport. Abacus was expensive but food and setting was great. They have also moved. Viroth's- another great setting and food. It was categorized as expensive but entrees were less than $10. US dollar accepted everywhere and preferred. ANZ bank ATM will give you US $

Laos=
I was disappointed with Luang Prabang. It's all about the tourist. Expensive too. PakOu is overrated. The best part was the leisurely boat ride to see it, but that's 3 hours out of your day. People did not really want the US $ here they preferred their own money. Tamarind was great, should have eaten there more. Spa Garden was reasonable priced and good. if you're lookinfg for an authentic town where real people live, work,pray I preferred Hoi-An, Vietnam.

Vietnam=
Warm, welcoming people. Hanoi kids was diappointing, One of the kids brought a friend and talked with him most of the time. Must eat is Quan an ngon at 160 pasteur,Hanoi it's like a food court, cheap. Bobby Chin is a must . It has moved, so a little out of the way but the atmosphere and food amazing. (expensive)
Stayed at H. Elegance 4 and the staff could not be more accomdating. I thought Hanoi was the best place for shopping. Sailed on HaiLong Suite Junk.
HoiAn=another disappointment. The quality of the sewing was nowhere like buying an outfit at Macy's. Dont bother. However the Victoria Hoi An was great and we got a beachfront room. So relaxing hearing the surf- Ioved the town. Many good eating places.
Eat at Bun Bo Hue- a local place near Renaissance Riverside, HCMC
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Thanks for your report. I guess we're all different. Most people consider Hoi An overly touristy, not Luang Prabang. It's useful to have different points of view.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 02:02 AM

You seem to suggest that people not wanting USD is somehow a bad thing. Why? I regard it as an excellent thing that people want their own currency.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 06:46 AM

Here's a place where VB and I agree!
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

It's not that it's a bad thing. Many posts said the exact opposite so I thought I'd update the info out there.