Train travel details

Search

Train travel details

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
sockboy

Train travel details

Hello,

Despite searching this site, I am having some problems figuring out some of the details of train travel in Japan.

I will be travelling by train from Narita to Tokyo, then by bullet train Tokyo to Kyoto, then Kyoto to KIX. Based on my research it is not worth buying a pass for this limited travel.

I am planning on taking the Keisei Skyliner from Narita into Tokyo. I presume this will be a straight forward matter of finding the desk at the airport and getting on the next train.

Can I book/reserve my trip on the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto before I leave somehow? If I have to wait until I arrive, will I have any problems making a reservation a couple of days in advance? (travel in late October). What about the trip from Kyoto to KIX, do I need to worry about a reservation? I wouldn't want to miss my flight!

Thanks!

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct that it is not worth buying a JR Pass.

You are almost surely correct about the Keisei Skyliner. I believe that it is the way that Florence prefers to get from the airport. You should be able to find some of her comments by doing a search on Keisei.

I assume that you are staying in Tokyo before going to Kyoto, is that correct?

According to what the following web page says, you can make shinkansen and Narita Express reservations at the following website:
http://www.world.eki-net.com/
I would consider using the site if my plan was to go to Kyoto from Narita, but otherwise I would not.

You would be riding the "Tokaido & Sanyo" shinkansen line (actually the Tokaido part, I think), so click on that name for the schedule at the eki-net site. The Nozomi trains would be the fastest and the seats are all reserved. You could get a ticket on other shinkansen (Hikari) without paying the reserved seat charge, I think. I would buy the shinkansen ticket a day or so in advance in Tokyo. You can get a reserved seat on the airport train when you buy the shinkansen ticket or upon arrival in Kyoto or the night before. You don't need to worry about missing the flight because you will be able to get the train to the airport even if you don't buy the ticket in advance.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Bonjour Sockboy,

You are right about the railpass and the Skyliner, the easiest, IMO, way to go downtown unless you are staying near Tokyo or Shinjuku stations, in which case the Narita express might prove better.

You can book trains between Tokyo and Kyoto at any "green window" (midori no madoguchi) in a JR station in Tokyo, 2 days in advance is more than enough. Actually, unless it is a public holiday, you can show up less than 1 hour before the desired departure time with a more than fair chance of getting a seat.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:38 AM
sockboy

Great! Thanks for easing my concerns.

I won't bother buying any of my tickets here. (Yes we are staying in Tokyo before heading on to Kyoto). When I arrive in Tokyo we'll go to a train station and book the trip to Kyoto as well as our train from Kyoto to the airport.

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 11:17 AM

JR Pass would be worth while if you want to do a day trip to Hiroshima (via Himeji perhaps). Both Keisei Skyliner and Narita Express are all-reservation and you book a seat when you buy your ticket. There's a JR and a Keisei counter as you leave the customs area. I wouldn't worry too much about reserving Tokyo to Kyoto trip as there's Nozomi departure up to 7 times an hour. There even have a couple of unreserved coaches, and it's easy enough to get reserved seats close to departure. I would definitely reserve Haruka limited express seats to KIX. Esp at weekends, morning trains can get very full (often standing room only).
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:02 AM

Have a look at this site

Seat61.com

I find this a very good starting point for examining world train travel