tour vs personal driver in KL

Feb 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

tour vs personal driver in KL

Traveling in KL with 2 kids under 3. Deciding on personal tour guide through passionasia.com or finding my own driver once I get there. Want to go to Batu Caves and Elephant Sanc - any comments on those places? What is going rate for hiring driver?
Feb 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Just returned from KL - we took a 1/2 day tour through Wai Kong Tours which included the King's Palace, several historial and modern buildings, the pewter factory, batik factory and the Batu caves. We didn't care for the Batu caves a bit - dirty, smelly and not all that interesting IMO. Visitors to the caves have to climb 272 steps - a major consideration if traveling with small children. The tour was 70 RM per adult, 40 RM for kids between 3-12.

I don't know about personal tours, but we did hire a driver to pick us up from the Port Dickson ferry (90 minute drive from KL) and to take us back upon our departure - we arranged this ahead of time from Indonesia and the cost was 150 RM each way for a 10 person van.

Taxis in KL are cheap, so you might want to consider going that route. Several taxi drivers offered their services as personal drivers, so you can arrange that easily enough upon arrival.
Feb 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM

with two small children of that age, i cannot think that you could possibly enjoy an arranged pre packaged tour where you have to go at the tour companies' pace....you need flexibility and the car provides that...

the pewter factory is very interesting, especially the shop...they may not allow children on the demonstration tour however...machinery in use...
Feb 14th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

I have booked a tour package in a private car with a tour guide for 2 of the 4 days we are there. I decided I did not want to bother finding drivers on the spot - I wanted things done in advance. We are doing Batu caves, pewter factory, and batik making in the country all in one day. Elephant Sanctuary the next. I wish I had checked this a few days ago - could have changed the plans. Hopefully things will go well. Thanks.
Jul 20th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Who did you use for your tour package?
Thanks
Jul 20th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I am staying at the Ritz Carlton and would like a lead or two for a personal driver. I have the name of a Chinese chap but if he is not available I need another on short notice who has a comfortable A/c taxi and is willing to spend 2-3 days with us for a generous/day fee. Most of the points of interest I have written down are 75+ miles out of KL.