Search

Tour Agency Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Les
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour Agency Recommendation

We're honing in on our trip to southern India later this year. We'd like toplan a personal itinerary, including car, driver and guide.

I've looked at some basic itineraries (which can be modified as we choose) from the following agencies:
Castle and King, Zicasso, and India Odyssey Tours. I'd like your opinions (preferably from personal experience) about these agencies.

I've also looked at some others, but the focus for most of those seems to be northern India, which I've already done. However, if you other recommendations, I'd be interested in looking at them.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 01:36 PM

Tim at Indian Panorama is a marvel. He is helping to put together my September trip, and we have exchanged countless emails back and forth, until we settled on an itinerary just yesterday. The itinerary reflects my interests, and he took the time to put it together with me.

CaliNurse and Satoric, regular posters here, have used him before, and that is why I chose him as well. The company specializes in Southern India.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Les
Original Poster

CaliforniaLady, thanks for that recommendation. At first glance, it looks like they can do what we want, and we'll definitely contact Tim to see if he can put together an itinerary for us.
Do you know if there is a U.S. phone number for them? I can't find one of their web site. I prefer a direct conversation with Tim, rather than an e-mail exchange.
Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 03:07 PM

Contact Tim by email, and he will arrange to call you if that's what you want. We just returned from a fabulous trip, almost glitch free.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 04:30 PM

Yes, click on sartoric's fabulous trip report. You can also look at my planning thread to see invaluable comments by sartoric, CaliNurse, thursdays, and others. I'm combining South India with Sri Lanka, but you can just browse through my thread to find some good information.
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Les
Original Poster

I'd still like some opinions about the other three companies that I mentioned in my original post.

We're currently putting together our must-see's and travel preferences, and I'd like to farm that out to several companies (Indian Panorama for sure, others TBD) for comparison.
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 03:03 PM

rhkkmk (Bob) has used Castle and Kings at least twice and as written extensive trip reports. If you search for his screen name, you can go to his profile and find his trip reports.

Another agency that gets rave reviews is Legends and Palaces.

Sorry, I don't recall seeing Zicasso, and India Odyssey Tours reviewed here. But you can search on their names and see if anything turns up.
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Les
Original Poster

Kathie, thanks for the info.

I've already looked at Legends and Palaces, but decided not to use them.

I've already e-mailed Tim at Indian Panorama, and will probably also contact the others (C & K, Zicasso, and India Odyssey to see how they compare.
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:54 PM

Hi Les, there isn't a direct office USA number for Indianpanorama, as the company is based in India (all over the country, not just the South, though that was their original office) and in New Zealand with Tim, when he's not traveling/researching in India.
I'll add to those who recommended Tim of IP. Progol, another regular here, used his services to put together a trip to South India-- she posted her itin on one of Sartoric's planning threads--and was very happy with his help (though the trip had to be postponed).
I'm leaving in a few days for a trip to Gujurat--I think this is the sixth (two were in Suth India) i've planned with the help of Tim and the company's staff in India.
I've used or inquired of numerous travel agencies in different part of the world over the yrs. What's unique with this particular travel planner, is that you'll get personal, detailed explanations/rationales, and honest feedback. If he thinks something is a good destination for you, he'll say so; likewise, if you have an idea for a particular itinerary, or route, and he thinks it can be improved on, or is simply not a good idea, he'll tell you, and tell you WHY. (Times I've ignored his advice to NOT see certain places have led to some funny-at-best , time-wastingly awful at worst, snafus.) Admittedly, this is a matter of trusting someone to know your likes and styles and has developed over yrs of trips to India, since 2008.

I've heard of C and K here, as Kathie mentioned. Several Fodorites have used them. Whomever you decide on for assistance with your plans, have a fantastic trip Les!!!
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Les
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, CaliNurse.

My initial e-mail to Tim was a fairly detailed explanation of our travel preferences and generally what we'd like to see and do on this trip. I've already received a reply from him addressing our plans in some detail. The quick response is pleasantly surprising, especially since he's currently in New Zealand on a vacation of his own.

Based on his suggestions, and very obvious consideration of our concerns, I look forward to working with him on planning this trip.

As an aside, I notice (above) that a comment has been removed by Fodors' moderators. This always makes me curious...
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 08:55 AM

Usually the removed comments on this Asia forum are from travel agents trolling for work, often disguising this. iYour subject line --which of course is how you get replies--attracts the "trolls" too, as they search for clients.
Just a guess re: the above removal.
An entire thread was removed last week from someone seeking a particular kind of "massage" in Thailand!
Enjoy your trip-planning!
Old Feb 19th, 2017, 04:39 PM

Hi everyone
we are just about to send off a sizeable deposit to Compass Tours, India, but have come across some negative reviews of not honoring hotel reservations. Yikes. Does anyone know anything about Compass Tours?
We would very much appreciate all comments.
we are finalizing details on a 3 week north and south India vacation for 4. We are seniors, experienced travelers but new to India.
Again, we will appreciate everyone's input!!
Old Feb 19th, 2017, 05:17 PM

I have never heard of Compass Tours. I am using Indian Panorama for my September trip, based on good recommendations on this forum.

Where did you read the negative reviews? If they were on Trip Advisor, sometimes it's a competitor bashing the competition. Unfortunately, that happens here sometimes too.

It's always stressful wiring a deposit to a foreign country. If you have your doubts about this agency, why not get a quote from Indian Panorama? Please read the posts on this thread to see why.