Tonga Ride in Agra??

Search

Tonga Ride in Agra??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonga Ride in Agra??

What is tonga ride in Agra? Has anyone done it? From googling, it sounds like you ride in a decorated horse carriage to the Taj? Sounds pretty tacky. Has anyone done this?

I just now notice this item as included in the tour package quoted me.

I'm more interested in seeing the back side of the Taj w/ the Yamuna River. What's the best time to do this, to avoid mosquitoes? Possible to take a boat ride on the Yamuna, but I've heard it's so polluted that it's not flowing anymore (a dead river). Has anyone done this?

====
Also, another item included in the price is the elephant ride up Amber Fort outside Jaipur. I've heard recommendations not to do this. What's your experience with this?

Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
a Tonga is a small passenger horse and buggy. No vehickes are allowed within 1 kilometre of the Tak, so cycle rickshaws and Tongas are now used.
The elephants in Amber Fort are fine. You get many people trying to sell you things, including the mahout, but ignore all that and look out at the scenery, its impressive.
Evening is the time for mozzys, going mid-day near the river is ok.
If you get a car to take you around, then make sure they take you to the 'Babj Taj' Itmad-ud-Daulah's tomb, a wonderful place that gets missed by most visitors.